Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Freeze Dried Chicken Treats

KMcgown

Site Supporter
Has anyone tried making their own freeze dried treats? I found directions on-line today and I am going to give it a try. I am going broke buy treats!!;) If you have tried it and you have some advise, let me know!!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Has anyone tried making their own freeze dried treats? I found directions on-line today and I am going to give it a try. I am going broke buy treats!!;) If you have tried it and you have some advise, let me know!!

I haven't but how about sharing what you found ;)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes...what I have seen online talks about vacuum sealer and dry ice. If one had a dehydrator, it owuld be even quicker...but...it is a lot of trouble :mad:

KMcgown

Site Supporter
I found two ways you can do it...one is with the freezer. I am going to try that. Boil the chicken for 15 minutes, let it cool, cut into slices, place on a cooling rack in the freezer for 5 - 7 days. I already cooked, cut and its in the freezer! If that does't work, I will try the dry ice. I spend some serious money on treats so I hope this works!

D

Dantes

I think what you'll find is that you end up with frozen cooked chicken, maybe with freezer burn. The freezer does not freeze dry as it is not pressurized. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze-drying "Freeze-drying works by freezing the material and then reducing the surrounding pressure to allow the frozen water in the material to sublimate directly from the solid phase to the gas phase." "Two components are common to all types of freeze-dryers: a vacuum pump to reduce the ambient gas pressure in a vessel containing the substance to be dried and a condenser to remove the moisture by condensation on a surface cooled to −40 to −80 °C (−40 to −112 °F)."

KMcgown

Site Supporter
I will try the dry ice next depnding on how expensive it is...you would not beleive how much we go through!