Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Freeze-dried necks

The cat CRAP raw feeding Facebook group has people that say to be careful not to feed too much neck tissue and chicken neck bone. Either freeze dried as a treat, or in a raw recipe as a source of bone. Supposedly it can contain enough thyroid to create problems. I don’t know how much is too much, or how likely this is to be a problem, but as HB’s most favourite thing in the whole world is freeze dried chicken necks, I use blackberry clippers to cut them into small sections, and try to save them for very special treats. For general rewards and clicker training I try to have alternatives on hand. Turkey neck bones seem pretty heavy and I would think most cats would have difficulty eating these? But chicken neck bones seem to be a nice and wonderfully crunchy treat.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
The cat CRAP raw feeding Facebook group has people that say to be careful not to feed too much neck tissue and chicken neck bone. Either freeze dried as a treat, or in a raw recipe as a source of bone. Supposedly it can contain enough thyroid to create problems. I don’t know how much is too much, or how likely this is to be a problem, but as HB’s most favourite thing in the whole world is freeze dried chicken necks, I use blackberry clippers to cut them into small sections, and try to save them for very special treats. For general rewards and clicker training I try to have alternatives on hand. Turkey neck bones seem pretty heavy and I would think most cats would have difficulty eating these? But chicken neck bones seem to be a nice and wonderfully crunchy treat.
I was thinking of duck necks, as they are smaller than turkey. Zazu isn’t super enthused about chicken, so those are out, lol. I was thinking it would be a special treat for her once in awhile, or as you suggested, cut into smaller chunks more often.

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
I was thinking of duck necks, as they are smaller than turkey. Zazu isn’t super enthused about chicken, so those are out, lol. I was thinking it would be a special treat for her once in awhile, or as you suggested, cut into smaller chunks more often.
I also cut my freezer dried chicken necks into two or more pieces. My boy starts out playing with them; then realizes they are edible.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
I also cut my freezer dried chicken necks into two or more pieces. My boy starts out playing with them; then realizes they are edible.
That must be entertaining to watch! Zazu is the opposite, I only know she’s full when she starts playing with her food instead of eating it.