Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freya breathing fast..

Ishani Birch

Savannah Super Cat
I know it is the summer time and it's warm out. But is it normal for a kitten to be breathing fast all the time? I can see her tummy move in and out. She's been drinking her water so I know she's not dehydrated and eating her raw meat which is also full of moisture. I think I'm probably being a little over concerned, she's otherwise completely normal, eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing. It's just her breathing is kinda freaking me out.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Atticus does that too and he's perfectly healthy. All kinds of bad things went through my mind because I don't remember that happening when my other 3 were kittens. But you should call and talk to your vet about it for peace of mind.

Ishani Birch

Savannah Super Cat
Yes.. That's a good plan. My first mistake was trying to Google kittens breathing fast.. I do not recommend.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
It doesn't sound so bad but its so difficult not to fret about every little thing with new kittens! Hugs and hope that all is well.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Deborah, it may be normal for your kitten but it isn't the norm in general in my experience, getting a vet check will at the least give you peace of mind, and if a problem is detected it will be dealt with.

Kurt Mylar

Savannah Super Cat
Loki did and still does. We took him to the vet to get it checked out. I live in Vegas and its hot all the time. If we play with him he pants so we stop his play time short. The vet said they could not find anything wrong. He is over two now and still pants heavy. He is the only one out of six SV's that does this but is in perfect health.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
If I play with Kilifi for any extended period of time, she will pant. I believe it is when she gets excited, not hot. She will pant when she looks at her toy, but stop if I talk to her.

Ishani Birch

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you for all the replies. I called my vet and she's going to see me and Freya on Friday. She said if her symptoms change, specifically if she starts mouth breathing, bring her into to the animal hospital because if there is something wrong with her lungs, any change could signal the onset of repository distress. But she said right now she sounds like she's fine. So, I'm still worried but she still seems fine as of right now. I took her temperature at home and she doesn't have a fever, and she's playing and eating normally. She does seem to be sleeping just a little more then usual but that might be due to the little heatwave we're having right now, because Sterling is napping a lot too.

Ishani Birch

Savannah Super Cat
I forgot to ask the vet, but does anyone know of the top of their head what a normal rectal temperature is for a kitten? She's 37.0 C or 98.6 F