Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Future F1 kitten

Green eyed kitty

Mystique the dog/cat;Seraphimah spunky kitty
Put down a deposit on a future F1 kitten. My savannah breeder came to visit Mystique today. I was able to go over with her and meet her new Serval kitten at the breeders home. What a cool experience playing with four adult Servals and my future F1s father (who is still a kitten himself) . It will be about a year+ before I see my future F1 but am preparing now for the new addition to our family. Mystique is an F4 and this future kitten will be an F1, does anyone have any advice on feeding, behaviours, etc between an F1 and F4 Savannah?

M

macmanmatty

Not trying to be rude, But Ii the serval is still a kitten your wait could me MUCH longer than a year+ could be more like 6 years+ if the current serval finds he doesn't like domestics and they have to get another male serval kitten or two. But the current serval kitten is cute and hope he works out for you.

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
Mystique is an F4 and this future kitten will be an F1, does anyone have any advice on feeding, behaviours, etc between an F1 and F4 Savannah?

That's a cool looking Serval kitten - sure it's not a stuffed animal :)

Anyways, not exactly your match, but I have both an F2 male and got him an F1 male playmate. In my case there are quite a few small differences, mostly physical and behavioral, and it's fun to observe. Feeding, my F1 is dominant, but my F2 has always been reserved and polite. My F1 eats first, then my F2 eats second only after the F1 eats (funny!). My F1 eats me out of the house...yeh really. He eats so much that he looks like a she that is about to be expecting. Both eat raw meat very well, supplemented of course. My F1 does seem to drink a bit more than my F2 at the water fountain. My F2 does a few Serval barks and some hybrid domestic meows, my F1 does nothing but Serval sounds - not one domestic peep out of him (you know like a normal meow...notta :). Both do Serval dances with tail fluffing. My F2 likes to be held, my F1 not as much. My F2 will be solitary at times in my home, my F1 has to be in at least the same room as myself. My F2 gets googly eyed when I leave, my F1 doesn't care. When I come back home, my F1 is often at the door waiting for me, my F2 does not do this. My F1 likes to walk, my F2 not so much. Both like to wade in water now, although both don't like getting wet. Both like to clean each other, although my F1 expects to be cleaned a bit more by my F2. They are best budds. Finally, at 6 months now, my F1 weighs a wopping 4lbs more than my F2 did at 6 months. I'd say my F2 is average size, too, to give you some idea. At the same age, my F1 is 1.5" taller as well, but 1" shorter in length than my F2. My F1 is stocky and tall compared to my F2. My F1 has much more dominant Serval markings, no surprise there. This includes more dominant ocelli, inkier spots, more parallel aligned spots, more dominant orange coat, bigger ears, Serval chin, Serval black tear drops, black nose to name a few physical traits.

So in short, like reported by many others on the SCC board, F1's simply are a bit more of everything than an earlier gen. My F2 is great though and reminds me more of a traditional SV. Finally, I would like to dispel any myths that F1's do serious damage to your home and are viscious...not true! I've not had any real damage to my home due to my F1. In fact, it was my F2 who knocked over one of my ugly vases in my home (cheap thing) and also decided to pull down a large picture from a wall onto my head :). F1's are great companions if that is what you're desiring. Just be prepared for more of everything SV :) dj

Green eyed kitty

Not trying to be rude, But Ii the serval is still a kitten your wait could me MUCH longer than a year+ could be more like 6 years+ if the current serval finds he doesn't like domestics and they have to get another male serval kitten or two. But the current serval kitten is cute and hope he works out for you.

The Serval has four F1s to chose from and if for some reason he refuses all four, then my breeder has other options to fill our contract with an F1. No worries, thanks for your comment.

(Was originally in line for an F2 but going with the F1 instead)

Last edited:

Green eyed kitty

Thanks for all the cute comments, yes the serval kitten did look like a cute stuffy bear. The adult servals were just stunning!

Green eyed kitty

What a great response, I appreciate the comparisons. Sounds like my future F1 should be a lot of fun! Glad to hear the F1 doesn't do much damage to a home, since our house is gorgeous. I am sure with training right from the beginning and lots of love, the F1 will adapt and become as lovely a cat as Mystique. Plus Mystique will have a new playmate that will keep up to her energy level. Our older cat has a hard time. Thanks for your comments, it will help with the preparation!

Keep your comments coming