Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Gabapentin for vet stress

I have an 11 lb, extremely muscular male F3 Savannah. I’ve recently started using a mobile vet. The first visit, I had him in his carrier and initially she and her assistant were having difficulty getting out of the carrier. When they succeeded, he was bouncing off the walls and aggressive. Personally, I think the masks they were wearing added to his anxiety and the fact I was not allowed to be with him due to social distancing. He’s incredibly strong and they decided rather than stress him more to come back in a week.
The vet prescribed Gabapentin to give to him 1.5 hrs before she comes again. The dose is 2- 100 mg caps. Is 200 mg too much for an 11lb cat? She’s a cat vet so I’d assume she knows what she’s prescribing, but he’s a Savannah and I’m wondering if that matters?
Thanks for any guidance.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
It really depends on the individual cat, just like with people.
100mg made my 10lb F2 girl so drunk she couldn’t walk.
200mg just takes the edge off my 16lb F1. enough to get her to the vet for sedation. And yet 300mg on a 10ish lb very high strung F5 girl didn’t touch her the least little bit.