Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a foster baby tonight

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I have never taken a wee one in for any length of time. Last week I took one in for the night, and my coworker took him for the weekend...but she is having a tough time balancing 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 birds (its like Noah's ark at her place)

So Thor is coming back to stay with me for a bit...he is approx. 4 weeks old. At what age do you guys generally start introducing something other than formula? (Wet food X water) He is getting formula every 2 hours, but he is having issues with diarrhea, and has an irritated bum.

I will talk to the vets and such today, but for the most part you folks are more on the same page as I am as far as animal care goes. When I do introduce food, I will follow the general path that a breeder would (or what mine did) for his future home.

Since I know everyone here loves pictures, I will post some tonight (I don't have them uploaded onto my computer right now). He is a precious little tabby baby :in love:

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Thank you Kristen for being a kitty Angel. My old best friend from years ago was a Tabby. Arthur was born on my bed. I had him for 17 years. :)

Rafiki

Site Supporter
When I raised Himys, I would start introducing them to gruel (rice baby cereal mixed with lamb baby food) at around 4 weeks. About 2 weeks later, I would also introduce kibble but the kittens stayed on gruel (with the formula gradually changing to more lamb and less rice) until they were about 3 months old.

Is he pooping by himself or does he need stimulation?

Kristin

Animal Communicator
He is still being stimulated. He is approximately 4 weeks old...but a very early 4 weeks. He isn't doing very well on the milk replacer...he has severe diarrhea, and cries every time he goes to the bathroom :(
The vet gave me some forti flora to put into his food 3x/day, and he is being put on sub qs during the day. He looked pretty sick when I got in today, but has perked up since.

We introduced him to kitten canned food (development) but he wasn't at all interested in it. Maybe I will try the baby gruel for him...the lamb baby food is for human babies? or kitty babies?

Rafiki

Site Supporter
It was for human babies. Not sure where to find it these days....I wanted to have some on hand for when our kitties either weren't feeling well or for a special treat but I couldnt find it. I wound up using chicken baby food when Rafiki's belly was bugging. Look for something that is as all-meat as you can get.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
It was for human babies. Not sure where to find it these days....I wanted to have some on hand for when our kitties either weren't feeling well or for a special treat but I couldnt find it. I wound up using chicken baby food when Rafiki's belly was bugging. Look for something that is as all-meat as you can get.

Thanks, I will try that. The formula is hurting his lil belly so bad, poor little thing. I would like to try something that would help his poor little belly

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Here are a few pictures of Thor

The first one is from tonight, and the second one is from Thursday. He has changed a lot in those few days!

Attachments

• babythor.jpg
    babythor.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 43
  • babythor2.jpg
    babythor2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 41

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I think I am going to make formula for him as well. He is in so much pain, the poor baby. It breaks my heart...the ingredients in the formula are mainly corn syrup too