Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting A Second Savannah

Mochasispuss

Savannah Adult
View attachment 10428 View attachment 10430 View attachment 10430 Hello everyone,

Since we fell in love with Puss (our F2 Savannah girl) we're considering of adding an F1 Savannah to our family.

There are some questions in my mind that i would like to ask;

1) How does the spraying work with Savannah males and how do you handle it?

2) How did your first Savannah react when you got the second one (since there are lots of members here who own more than one Savannahs)

3) Will having a male dog (neutered a month ago) and/or a female savannah around trigger the male savannah's spaying instinct?

And below are some recent pictures of Puss

Thank you very much for the time!
:)

IMG_0385.jpg IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0276.JPG

Last edited:

NikkiA

Site Supporter
First, Puss is lovely, congratulations!

I have three SV boys at home. I do not have a dog, or a female SV, but I can speak a little bit to adding a SV to a household.

We brought our F5 boy, D, home in October 2011, about a month after we brought home a 6 week old female foster kitten (unaltered- she was spayed at the age of 6 months). D was neutered at the breeders. D and our foster kitten, LeeLoo, were together from October 2011 to May 2012. We added our F3 boy, Jarvis, in May 2012. Jarvis was neutered by our vet at 6 months old. We added our F4 boy, Mickey, when we had Jarvis for 4 months and D for about a year. Mickey was neutered at the breeders.

We have never had any spraying. Our boys are well behaved and use their box. We QTed each kitty in our master bedroom and bath for their first 10 days with us, then began introductions.

D was resentful when we brought Jarvis home; he transferred his affection from Mike to me. When we brought Mickey home, D was resentful for about a month. Jarvis was not resentful when we brought Mickey home. Mickey became friends with Jarvis within a few days. Mickey and Jarvis are best friends and frequently cuddle. D would rather be with the humans than with his brothers, but all three of them will play together and groom each other.

The boys will compete for attention and affection. If they feel they are not getting enough attention, they will act to rectify the situation. D and Jarvis whine. Mickey jumps in our laps.

Mochasispuss

Savannah Adult
First, Puss is lovely, congratulations!

I have three SV boys at home. I do not have a dog, or a female SV, but I can speak a little bit to adding a SV to a household.

We brought our F5 boy, D, home in October 2011, about a month after we brought home a 6 week old female foster kitten (unaltered- she was spayed at the age of 6 months). D was neutered at the breeders. D and our foster kitten, LeeLoo, were together from October 2011 to May 2012. We added our F3 boy, Jarvis, in May 2012. Jarvis was neutered by our vet at 6 months old. We added our F4 boy, Mickey, when we had Jarvis for 4 months and D for about a year. Mickey was neutered at the breeders.

We have never had any spraying. Our boys are well behaved and use their box. We QTed each kitty in our master bedroom and bath for their first 10 days with us, then began introductions.

D was resentful when we brought Jarvis home; he transferred his affection from Mike to me. When we brought Mickey home, D was resentful for about a month. Jarvis was not resentful when we brought Mickey home. Mickey became friends with Jarvis within a few days. Mickey and Jarvis are best friends and frequently cuddle. D would rather be with the humans than with his brothers, but all three of them will play together and groom each other.

The boys will compete for attention and affection. If they feel they are not getting enough attention, they will act to rectify the situation. D and Jarvis whine. Mickey jumps in our laps.

Thank you very much for the time and helpful information :)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I think I am one of the luckiest people on the planet when it came to introductions for my 3. I'm certain things went so smoothly because my first SV, Juba, is a calm, confident, peacemaker with a huge nurturing instinct.

Juba was 9 mos. old when I got Taji. Taji spent his quarantine in my home office which has glass doors so the cats saw each other and sniffed under the door for the entire quarantine. When it came time for face to face intros, they were more than ready. Juba ran into the room and started grooming Taji and then he took Taji on a tour of the house. Taji walked under Juba's belly as they explored each room. I was flabbergasted.

Same thing happened with I brought Maliik into the mix about a year later. Juba met him first and Taji followed Juba's lead. However, Juba and Taji were very bonded by then. While they all play together and groom each other, it's very clear that they are not as close to Maliik.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that when a cat is young... they accept new additions easier and especially with a kitten. Adult cats accept kittens relatively easy. You should still quarantine and do it gradually, make sure your princess gets lots of love so she isn't jealous but I am sure they will bond pretty quickly.

As long as kittens are spayed/neutered by an appropriate age, I don't think there is any reason to fear spraying. Just know that just because the F1 male is not fertile, he still needs to be neutered as this simply means he is not producing viable sperm but would still produce the male hormones telling him to mark his territory. So those less useful testicles still need to go! LOL!

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
This is a really good question. I have a buyer who is getting a second from us, reason being is the first is so much cat, we are hoping a playmate might burn off some energy, plus the wife got the kitten for herself and became attached to the husband. She is worried that the boy she has now will but accept the kitten. So it's nice to see these remarks.