Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Good Breeders close to Oklahoma?

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
I am doing my research to try and add a SV to the list of kitties that own me :) I only know of one breeder in Oklahoma which is A1 Savannah's. They seem like a wonderful breeder but I am not sure they are in my price range for what I want. (at least an F3 but would LOVE to get an F2) Also would it be frowned upon to ask to visit the cattery and see some savannah's in person since I never have? I would feel bad visiting when I know I can not get one from them.. unless I told them up front and they were ok with it.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I am curious as to what makes you think they are a wonderful breeder...is it the website? Have you spoken to them? There is a lot of info on this site about A1, so you may want to do more research!

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
No real reason to say they are a wonderful breeder actually.. haha I guess it was just based on the website. I will definitely do more research on them. You've sparked my interest! I would really love to be able to get a SV from one of the breeders on here. They seem so helpful and passionate!

admin

Paige
Staff member
No real reason to say they are a wonderful breeder actually.. haha I guess it was just based on the website. I will definitely do more research on them. You've sparked my interest! I would really love to be able to get a SV from one of the breeders on here. They seem so helpful and passionate!

LOL - do not let flashy websites fool you!

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
More than anything I didn't want to hurt any feelings as I do not know what breeders are members on here or who got a cat from what breeder. Can you point me to some helpful threads? I did a search just for the name but am getting all sorts of things that don't even mention that particular cattery. I have looked at SO MANY breeder websites and it was all so overwhelming.. Reading real opinions and experiences on here has been much more helpful. Also I am 6 months to a year out from even being able to get one so I have time to find the perfect fit for me :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I understand your initial comment as being polite and probably an assumption that the flashy website meant they were as good as they say they are. It always pays to look a little deeper...and my biggest suggestion is to ask lots of questions.

You may not find that most breeders welcome a home visit just to visit Savannahs but maybe there are. For me personally, I live in a popular location (San Francisco) and if I said yes to every request to come meet a Savannah, I would basically be opening an unpaid zoo and never have a free weekend. You can learn a lot from this forum, and you can ask a lot of questions via email to breeders. You may find that being prepared to open up your search beyond OK may help you find the right breeder... it may just mean a weekend trip somewhere new when the time comes for your new kitten...

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
@Brigitte Cowell I totally understand what you mean about it being a zoo.. I will continue asking my questions on here and will probably start emailing breeders when it gets a little closer to becoming a reality for me :)

@admin After reading that thread I feel so bad for the people that were talking of their hardships with that breeder.. It also saddens me that it's the only cattery with Savannah's representing Oklahoma. I will definitely start looking more seriously out of state!

My love and I have both been wanting to visit California for a while now and I know there are many breeders there! I'm willing to travel anywhere to get a SV though. I am mesmerized by the breed in its entirety and I think my Kinsler would LOVE a SV playmate :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Maybe you can plan a weekend trip to LA and come to a cat show.... as you say there are a number of breeders there and there is a show in LA (Arcadia) every month and almost always SV folk... and of course you could do other sight-seeing stuff that weekend also...

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
Hmm sounds like a good idea to me! Maybe I can plan a summer vacation for one. I only have about 4 weeks off school between now and next Christmas break.. (intersession courses and summer courses :() so those few weeks I plan on making the most of it!!