Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Grass is a gas

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I can't remember who posted about growing grass in a cement mixing tub for their cat. Whoever it was, thank you for the idea. My boyz also say thanks.

maliik 1.jpg maliik atticus 2.jpg atticus.jpg

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
That's awesome! How long did it take for the grass to grow to that length? What sort of soil...any secrets? I know a few of my cats would love this as our outside grass slowly dries up and is turning brown. My DSH girl Moka loves to have her daily "salad" of grass pickings....

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I think that it was MM3???? Great suggestion!
And yes, I added 2 tubs to my catio (pictures coming soon!). Jammu in particular loves laying in it. I added soil to the mixing tub and made it nice and soupy and threw a length of sod on it. It took about 3-4 weeks for it to really "take". I have a bit of dried grass at the edges but overall it is quite healthy. I will need to trim it back in the next couple of weeks.

cbain

Site Supporter
Very nice idea and I am sure the cats really enjoy it as I see they do , thanks Witchy , next spring I will roto a spot for catnip and cat grass in the enclosure ,Cody likes your avatar, and spider but you need his golden eyes. to make it cat, in his Savannah cat in his opinion LOL he say's spots are in for hair color. GOT TO LOVE HIM

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
That's awesome! How long did it take for the grass to grow to that length? What sort of soil...any secrets?
I used grass seeds, primarily wheatgrass, filled the tub with garden soil I bought at the local co-op. It took about 3 weeks to come in lush. I'll keep adding seeds every few weeks to try to keep it going through the winter.

MM3

Site Supporter
I can't remember who posted about growing grass in a cement mixing tub for their cat. Whoever it was, thank you for the idea. My boyz also say thanks.

View attachment 15666 View attachment 15667 View attachment 15668
That was me! Glad all fur babies are enjoying indoor grass! Our nursery here has sod that's free from everything.....natural! So I've not done seed, but might do that? Please let me know how long it takes to germinate and you must put it out if reach until it's mature. I tried it on a way smaller scale and my little one was pulling it up before it was ready. Tracks of dirt and seeds that haven't developed everywhere ? So I would be interested in your procedure. image.jpg

MM3

Site Supporter
Not yet but it's probably only a matter of time. They really enjoy grazing on grass.
Kitty hasn't ever used it for the potty and her litter box and grass box are both cement mixing boxes. It makes me so happy you all are enjoying my innovative idea. How we all love our babies.
My little one is very sick right now, at the vet's yesterday. Severe sore throat and swollen tonsils. No voice.
She is on Azithromycin and Buprenex. While the pain medication is in effect she does eat and I keep the water going. I have taught her to accept water from a syringe. She's better today but still in pain. Poor baby, I'm not budging from her side.