Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Greens and Grains

John Popp

Site Supporter
Dino has become fascinated with eating greens and grains. He'll make attempts to swipe a piece of bread, a bean or lettuce if he can get away with it. He will even eat Edamame, carefully extracting the beans for consumption while discarding the pods.

Anyway, he's on a raw diet with Mazuri. Primarily fully dressed chicken and rabbit complete with bones and organs. It's to the point now that I really think there is some deficiency in his diet that he's so hell bent on getting at these things. So if anyone has some suggestions, let me know.

admin

Paige
Staff member
John...my cats eat broccoli, spinach, etc...just give it to him...nothing wrong with it

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki loves bread. She will shred the plastic and take bites all over the loaf if given half a chance. That and extra sharp cheddar cheese. Go figure.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Rascal likes bread. And cheese, OMG it's on when the cheese is out. Mayhem joins in for the cheese.
I had a DSH who absolutely loved peas and would claw you until she got her own bowl of them.
I wouldn't worry.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
None of these things are unusual for Savannahs to like. I would not worry about it as long as it is only a snack here and there. I knew a serval who loved eating cantoulope, and a Savannah who loved eating bread

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've had Savannahs that seemed to have carb fetishes...anything like that: bread, cakes, pasta even... I don't think it is a deficiency just their quirkiness and liking to try new things and possibly also the challenge of "stealing" things away from the humans...

John Popp

Site Supporter
If I were eating some potatoes or a piece of chicken he might have some curiosity. If I'm eating a salad, green beans or trying to make a sandwich, Dino becomes frenzied making off with a piece of bread or has his paws on the plate. Just odd that he's never been offered people food and suddenly he is totally infatuated with it.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
He's thinking, if it works for the human, it's worth a try. Doesn't seem to kill the humans......