Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Grinding bones for raw diet

HappyS

Savannah Super Cat
We just assembled our grinder and ground up 10 lbs of bone in chicken thighs. But there are little chunks or slivers of bone in the ground meat! Is that okay for them to eat because I'm afraid of it being a choking hazard! Or should we regrind it so the bones are smaller? We JUST found an extra plate with smaller holes in the box.

HappyS

Savannah Super Cat
I'm so worried about it and refuse to give it to them unless I am told otherwise. Debating to just run everything again through the grinder with the 1/8th holes. They won't have anything to chew on but at least it may solve the problem

John Popp

Site Supporter
I always double grind the meat and bones. A first time through the 7mm grinding plate and a second time through the 4.5mm plate (roughly a quarter inch than an eighth inch).

Also, you want to make sure you are feeding your cat more than just muscle meat and bone. You should be following a recipe to add some extra organ meat (especially heart) or adding in taurine. There are also some pre made mixes available to add in to just muscle meat so you can be assured of providing your cat with the appropriate nutrition.

I hope that helps!

HappyS

Savannah Super Cat
I've got all of the organs and vitamins in there. :) We also leave dry food out.

We fed it all (finished product) through the smaller hole plate and will pick up some more chicken thigh to chop some meat in the food "slush " we created last night so they have something to chew on

John Popp

Site Supporter
I used to crudely cut some of the muscle meat off the frame and legs, only grinning twice the bones and cage, but my cats don't seem to care one way or the other. However slide them some Turkey and they fly the flag of revolution.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Hmmmm, with so many people having success with the larger bore grinding plates I guess I'm game to give it a try.

Also, just to clarify that others using the larger grinding plates are doing whole chickens or at least bone in legs and thighs as a portion of their recipe.

HappyS

Savannah Super Cat
I'm using bone in chicken thighs, heart and livers but your Savannahs are okay with eating the slivers and fragments of bones?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
As long as the chicken bones are not cooked they are soft and edible, and an important source of calcium for cats.