Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Has anyone heard of this breeder? Reputation?

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I've seen their website, but know nothing of them.

Some of their breeder cats look quite nice, as do the kittens; a few look a bit too Bengal for my taste, but only my opinion....what about this breeder made you ask for opinions here ?

If this breeder has a kitten that catches your eye, makes your heart skip a beat when you see his/her pics, and you feel is just the right one for you....then go for it, as long as the kitten is healthy, well-socialized, comes with a contract with health guarantee, and you feel comfortable with the breeder. A good breeder should be willing to answer any question you ask AND be willing to be accessible to you for as long as possible. References from past kitten customers is a big plus, too.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Completely agreed with Pam. I don't know this breeder and the website has very little detail. Like Pam, some are most definitely Bengal-influenced in looks.

As she says though, go with the kitten that really reaches out to you...but do due diligence in asking questions and feel comfortable with the answers you get from the breeder :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I also know nothing about this breeder so can't give a recommendation. Maybe picking up the phone and talking to them would help you get a feel for them and see what you think...

morbius

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the replies! :)

Here's my dilemma. As some of you may know, my F2 savannah boy (Servo) recently passed away from HCM. It was a very traumatic experience for me. He was a good good boy; so smart and playful. All he ever wanted to do was play. We were very closely bonded. I recently contacted his breeder and she felt bad about what happened and will give me an F3 (pick of the litter) for 1500 (normal price 2500). This is a great deal. However, I question the health in the genetic line of her program. My boy had 1. Crystal urine 2. Bilateral luxated patellae and 3. HCM which ultimately caused a premature death. I am wary of spending ANY money on another cat with her because of my fears. HOWEVER, Servo's personality and temperament was AMAZING. And I'd essentially be getting one of his nephews. That thought comforts me. This is Servo's breeder:

http://sunsetexotics.com/kittens.php

The kitten that we like is Zenya's F3 baby boy. Cute! But, the pics are from a young age and I don't know how this kitten will turn out.

I recently ran across another kitten that really caught my eye while researching and doing my due diligence. He looks a lot like Servo when he was young and has a lot of Servally traits. Albeit he doesn't show a deep spotted pattern. But I really took a liking to this cat.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...495.1073741833.127623480781563&type=1&theater

This cat is priced at 1800 but is within my State. Maybe I'll have better luck on health with a different breeder?

This is my quandary. What should I do? And in the end I really wish I could get an F2 but that seems financially impossible. 1800 is okay but 5000 is not happening. We just spent 4K trying to save Servo! :( And now he's gone.

Thanks for any input!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have to agree, that's a lot of problems coming out of one cattery so I understand your hesitation. Has the breeder screened her breeding cats for HCM since you notified her of Servo's diagnosis? It sounds like she is still using the cats, even after knowing that Servo died of HCM, or am I misunderstanding?

As for the other breeder, it seems she is not well known in the community, but that doesn't make her a bad breeder. Talk to her, ask her questions, ask to see her contract. Ask her what she wants to know about you (a reputable breeder will screen potential customers, and many have pre-adoption questionnaires they require to be filled out), ask her if her kittens have had any health problems in the past, and ask her for references.

Don't jump into something into purchasing a kitten just because it's available and at the right price, but if you feel that connection with it after seeing the pics, then go for it.

morbius

Savannah Super Cat
I've seen their website, but know nothing of them.

Some of their breeder cats look quite nice, as do the kittens; a few look a bit too Bengal for my taste, but only my opinion....what about this breeder made you ask for opinions here ?

If this breeder has a kitten that catches your eye, makes your heart skip a beat when you see his/her pics, and you feel is just the right one for you....then go for it, as long as the kitten is healthy, well-socialized, comes with a contract with health guarantee, and you feel comfortable with the breeder. A good breeder should be willing to answer any question you ask AND be willing to be accessible to you for as long as possible. References from past kitten customers is a big plus, too.

She states that she has gotten most of her breeder cats from 'Fusionkatz'

morbius

Savannah Super Cat
I have to agree, that's a lot of problems coming out of one cattery so I understand your hesitation. Has the breeder screened her breeding cats for HCM since you notified her of Servo's diagnosis? It sounds like she is still using the cats, even after knowing that Servo died of HCM, or am I misunderstanding?

As for the other breeder, it seems she is not well known in the community, but that doesn't make her a bad breeder. Talk to her, ask her questions, ask to see her contract. Ask her what she wants to know about you (a reputable breeder will screen potential customers, and many have pre-adoption questionnaires they require to be filled out), ask her if her kittens have had any health problems in the past, and ask her for references.

Don't jump into something into purchasing a kitten just because it's available and at the right price, but if you feel that connection with it after seeing the pics, then go for it.

I told her about Servo having HCM. She stated that she had "heard" of it but didn't know much about it. Sounds evasive to me. Any breeder should have an intimate knowledge of HCM as far as I'm concerned. Thing is, both Servo's mommy and daddy are still alive.

The second breeder didn't seem concerned with screening me before selling me a kitten. In fact the first one didn't either. But Sunset Exotics was insistent on me feeding the cat good quality food.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Well, screening can be subtle too - for instance, when Cary emailed me about a kitten he gave me so much information about himself that I knew without asking a single question that he would be the best pet owner I could ever wish for - most are not that easy though, and some get offended by all the questions.

morbius

Savannah Super Cat
Well, screening can be subtle too - for instance, when Cary emailed me about a kitten he gave me so much information about himself that I knew without asking a single question that he would be the best pet owner I could ever wish for - most are not that easy though, and some get offended by all the questions.

I got ya. Good point. I guess if I tell her I spend 4k on vet bills in the last 10 days of servo's life, she's thinking "this guy must really love his cat." And also how I go on about my life with servo, she didn't need to ask questions.