Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Has anyone tried BalanceIT?

D

Dantes

Stumbled on this the other day, and was thinking of trying it. https://secure.balanceit.com/

Has anyone tried it? Feedback?

I primarily feed commercial raw, but would like the option of home cooking food due to often picky ragdoll--but am scared of preparing stuff myself for fear of leaving something out by accident. It sounds like a decent compromise?

D

Dantes

I think I'm going to. The idea behind it is pop your protein, veggies (and carbs, if you choose--but per a specific recipe given by them based on your choices) in the oven, add the formula, and voila. Seems simple enough. I know making raw food isn't all that hard, but the grinding and storaging of raw is where I get stuck. I just can't do it.

D

Dantes

I've ordered it. We'll see. It can't be any worse than feeding Dante those little cans of Weruva. He loves them, but what a waste of packaging, you can only buy single servings :(

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Dantes I'm sorry I didn't respond before you ordered the BalanceIT but it took me awhile to do the research. Please note the company warning:
Adding a concentrated supplement like a Balance IT® supplement to a commercial pet food could potentially lead to over-supplementation of nutrients and adverse health consequences and is not recommended. You can even see this difference in our packaging - we use child resistant lids that must be used by federal law on any concentrated nutrient product. You also won't see a generic recommendation on how much to give your pet because that depends on what your pet's individual needs are and what ingredients they are eating.

That last sentence is especially concerning. How do you determine your pets individual needs and how are you going to individually analyze the ingredients in the food? Using their generic calculator? I don't think I'd trust it. The product is meant to be used ONLY with the diets provided by the company. I haven't looked at the diets and would recommend that you make your own. There is NO WAY a supplement can be "all in one" when you consider the differing vitamin & enzyme levels in different meats. Heck, even in something like a chicken, you get different levels between dark & white meat. There is an awful good chance that using this product can be harmful.

Never be fooled by a product because it claims to be veterinarian recommended. There are very few people in the US (maybe 3) who have the education and expertise in pet nutrition to make such a recommendation. Most veterinarians don't know diddly about pet nutrition.

D

Dantes

Hi Deborah, I totally understand the concern, I have concerns too.

Did I say I planned to add the supplement to a commercial food? That's not my goal here. The problem is that I've been feeding commercial raw to the boys since day 1, but Dante is often resistant and a picky eater. So sometimes I sneak him a can of Weruva here or there, which is essentially chicken breast with vitamins thrown in. But I hate the single-serving cans (and the cost of the cans) and don't trust Weruva to use high quality anything, and processing in Thailand, and guar gum and carrageenan and--I think I'm just suspicious about every company these days. (Every company, most vets, the FDA, ugggh nobody is helpful or useful lol except maybe the people here ;) ) And to top it all off, although Duma is fine with his raw food, he goes bonkers for Dante's cans, which makes me even more suspicious that there's something junk-foody about them, and also forces Dante into the bathroom to eat in peace. :(

As a result, sometimes, if I'm cooking a chicken, I'll give some of it to Dante for a meal. (Duma generally prefers his raw to the cooked chicken.) Then when I saw BalanceIT, I was thinking, well isn't that what I'm doing already? The idea behind it is cook up a chicken and add a supplement, which has to be far better than what I'm doing now, just giving him chicken alone? Certainly that is unbalanced...even if it's only a once in a while thing. I could just make it a full time thing for him?

That whole "individualized for your pets needs" idea seems kinda stupid to me, I mean BalanceIT is not going to provide any less of an individualized diet than Weruva does, no? Aren't all cat foods standardized? I mean, even Science "medical" diets aren't individualized, no matter how hard they might try to convince you they are. They're still providing a generalized product that tends to have more of X or less of Y.

So essentially what I'm thinking of doing is following a BalanceIT plan for Dante. They have a recipe that is essentially "Cook a chicken and a sweet potato, mix them together with some oil and this supplement." My intention is to feed Dante this diet (or at least a diet based on one of their recipes), not to mix it with commercial diet.

I'm not sure if I'll switch Duma over to a BalanceIT diet, as he seems to love raw.

I hope this clarifies what I'm planning to do. If you still think I'm crazy, please feel free to tell me so--I won't be upset. I really need to make sure I'm covering my bases here. I just want to do what's right for my boys.

DChap

Site Supporter
Dantes, I'm interested too. Tojo has been eating commercial raw since I've had him (last March) but in the last month or so will NOT eat any of the other brands I've tried and only wants the freeze dried chicken treats (no vitamins incl) or occasionally the dehydrated raw Stella and Chewy's if I DON"T add water. He makes a mess of it though ;)
He does drink plenty of water so not worried about that so much but want to get him on a diet he really likes and is healthy. I wont go the "make ur own raw" route because of my own issues with it so am interested in this stuff. I've never given him cooked meats that I've prepared so I guess I should try that first. He really likes Ziwi peak canned but the price is high and his poops drive me from my home :eek:. Also I dont think the ZP canned is raw :(. He's an F4B neutered male so not worried about breeding health just want eating time to be a happy event for both of us!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Are you attracted to this idea because it appears easy to make? Seriously, chicken & sweet potato & corn oil? The whole idea behind a raw or home made diet is to eliminate the carbs that cause so many problems in cats yet you must choose a carb from their list. There is a recipe here http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.html for folks who don't have grinders that is easy to make, balanced calcium/potassium and no fillers. You have to do what you think is best for your cats. I think you're making a mistake.

If you want to gain more knowledge about nutrition, I suggest you (and anyone here who is interested) join Holisticat.com. The information there is invaluable when trying to decide the best way to feed & keep our cats healthy. You can get a free 1 week trial membership that would give you time to look over their nutrition sections to get all the info you need.

D

Dantes

I totally respect your opinion Deborah and will sign up for Holisticat. BalanceIT does have a choice to make a diet that is chicken only, though, and you add their "carnivore" formula to it. They do tell you that it's higher protein that way.

I did start with catnutrition.org...and I suppose it's easy if you're used to assembling lots of little pieces and making sure they end up in the right amounts. I live in a townhouse, not a house, and currently have a roommate--storage is at a premium at the moment, storage of all of the individual vitamins...I know it's better to do it that way, but people do choose multivitamins over taking 7 or 8 separate pills, and it's still healthier than what comes in a can. Maybe I doubt my ability to properly measure vitamins, too. IDK. I'm trying to find a compromise between what I can do given my personal resources and what comes in the can.

I promise to sign up for Holisticat and do more research there. :)