Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having babies after owning a Savannah for a few years...

ericaaa

Savannah Super Cat
Hello everyone!

I'm new here! I just put down a wait list deposit for an F3 Savannah that, hopefully, we'll have home with us by the beginning of June! I can't wait!!

I have a question that I've had a hard time finding an answer to.

My boyfriend and I have been together for over 8 years. We bought out house 1 year ago. We plan on getting engaged this year, and getting married in the next 2 years. After that, we hope to start having children. While we dont have any children or other pets right now, how can I make sure my Savannah is ready when it's time for the babies to start coming? I have a 2 year old nephew I hope to bring around my Savannah frequently, but he doesn't live in our home. I notice that Savannahs take the head of the household role, and I'm a bit worried with how he/she may react once a baby is brought into the picture.

Anyone have any experience with this situation? or advice? Thanks in advanced!!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Best way to know how your Savannah will behave around babies is to expose him to them now and continue to expose him to children. If your breeder does not have young children in her household you might ask her to have some children come over and play with the kittens if feasible to see how they react/interact with each other. If the Savannah has never been exposed then there's really no way of knowing how he will react when you bring your own bundle of joy home one day.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
When my grandson first came over as an infant, all my cats except for Chuju avoided him like the plague. None of them had been exposed to babies before. Chuju was not afraid of him, and went right up to him to check him out. I think it depends on the cat.

ericaaa

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the tips, y'all! I'll definitely discuss this with the breeder & bring him around children as much as possible. I worry about how it will be when having another attention-needing being living in the house. I know animals can be territorial and jealous, so I'm hoping I'll have a sweet, loving kitty on my hands!

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
When my grandson was 4 months old, they came to visit. None of my cats had any issues. The baby was ignored. 28 years ago, we were woken during the night to our son laughing in the crib. When we went to his room to check it out, we found our DSH in the crib playing with him. They were batting each other. Sue

ericaaa

Savannah Super Cat
haha Sue thats hilarious! :roflmao: I'll keep my fingers crossed I get a SV that won't mind a new baby!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
I wouldn't worry. These cats have a high intelligence, and it is amazing what they can do. They seem to know what to do at the right time. They love people in a way I have never seen before. Read these boards. Many came curios. All left amazed. There is a reason that "single" savannah cats are uncommon.

ericaaa

Savannah Super Cat
I've been reading up on these boards for a couple of weeks now, and I've had my eyes opened to a whole new world of loving cats! We won't be getting our furbaby til June, but I am so excited and ready for him because I know he will give me a love I've never known! For the time being, we are just getting one, but I have a feeling it won't last long!

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I have a 20 month old and have to chase Nyah out of her crib every night at bed time. The same routine, I say bedtime and Nyah flies up the stairs and jumps in; I think she hopes this Is the night she gets to stay! The only issue is the baby's special blanket , named night night. Inevitably, Nyah lays down on night night and the baby yells "Mine! Mine night night!". Nyah doesn't understand babies don't share well or consistently. They do play together, Nyah loves the baby's tube to crawl through and her toy tent so much we don't take them down any more. I have a camp ground in my den. Nyah lets the baby pet her on occasion, but she normally stays just out of hands reach. I think when they both get older, they are going to be great friends.

I also have a 14 year old. Her bedroom is like Disney World for Nyah; bags to jump in and over; piles of clothes to hide in; moccasins to attack. And because I am concerned with Nyah ingesting something she shouldn't, it has forced my daughter to pick up all her hair ties, keep her makeup put away in the bathroom and bring her dishes back downstairs. Yay!

Last edited: