Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heart Murmur

1ststatestereo

Savannah Super Cat
Went to get F3 neutered. Doc found a heart murmur. Said it was between a 2 and 3. When cat calmed down, murmur disappeared. When cat got excited/nervous, it came back. X-rays showed nothing. Cat is completely healthy otherwise.

IMG_2120 2.JPG

Seeing a cardiologist in two days.

Anyone run into this before?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Murmurs can be "innocent" and yes, stress can make them audible. So it may well be nothing to worry about... BUT I completely agree with having it checked out by a cardiologist. Better safe than sorry, and IF there is an issue the earlier you find it the better the chance to manage the issue and give your cat great quality of life for years to come.

Do you know if the breeder has HCM screened the parents?

1ststatestereo

Savannah Super Cat
Murmurs can be "innocent" and yes, stress can make them audible. So it may well be nothing to worry about... BUT I completely agree with having it checked out by a cardiologist. Better safe than sorry, and IF there is an issue the earlier you find it the better the chance to manage the issue and give your cat great quality of life for years to come.

Do you know if the breeder has HCM screened the parents?

thanks. Definitely better safe than sorry. I love this little dude. Plus, I have insurance for a reason.

I do not know if the breeder screened the parents. Does it matter now?

Trish Allearz

I don't really think even screened parents can make you rest too easy nowadays... Just from everything that I've seen. Is it a great preemptive move, yes, but in the case of a murmur-- all you can really do is have a cardiologist check your baby out.

BTW-- I had a Selkirk with a murmur for his neuter and his heart was perfect during his scan :) So hopefully, you get the same blessed news!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I totally agree with Brigitte --- there are many things that can create a transient heart murmur... in your case you have a kitten that is probably a bit dehydrated because he was not allowed food and water before his neuter - this will cause the heart to beat harder and faster to pump more of what volume it does have. Next, the stress of going to the vet releases catecholamines (basically adrenaline) which also causes the heart to beat harder and faster. These two conditions combined can cause a dynamic right ventricular outflow tract obstruction (DRVOTO) - in other words, the heart is squeezing so hard it actually causes a narrowing in the outflow tract where the blood pumps out of the heart, causing some turbulence as it passes through (turbulent blood flow is what causes a murmur). This is actually a pretty common cause for transient heart murmurs in cats.