Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello All!

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
Hi everyone! My name is Samantha and I have fallen in love with the Savannah breed. I am currently doing my research and getting all the information I can in order to add a Savannah to my home! My boyfriend and I currently have two DSH's and a Schnauzer. We are hoping to get an F3. Any advice or information is appreciated! I look forward to learning more about this wonderful breed and hearing funny stories about all the kitties!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's hard to know where to start... are you looking for general advice on how to select a breeder or how to choose your kitten? Or information about living with a Savannah... have you looked through this forum as all that has been pretty much covered in various ways, but any more specific takes on it then ask away!

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Brigitte!
I have looked through the forum a bit and there is a ton of information! My main concern is how to integrate a savannah with three other pets already. I have a 2 year old female cat, 2 year old male cat, and 4 year old schnauzer. The male cat (Kinsler) is very sweet and cuddly and playful. The female (Charlotte) is reserved. Cuddles on her terms. She isn't mean by any means she just kinda observes more than anything. The schnauzer (Bandit) is just a typical dog. Really well behaved and gets along with anyone and everyone.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hi Samantha,

Introductions should be slow and the kitten would be quarantined to bond with you and your boyfriend first...there is lots of info here,...you can do a search and then ask whatever you cannot find the answer to :)

And welcome to savannahcatchat.com!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
For introducing to dogs, I usually suggest the person use a baby gate across the doorway to one room...this gives the new kitten/cat a "safe" place to retreat to... and plenty of shelves etc in the living area also.

When it comes to existing cats, firstly I believe you really need to consider the personalities of your existing pets and make sure that they really would be okay with the kind of rambunctious exuberance that is a Savannah kitten. Sometimes it just is not going to be a good fit. But once you are past that point, then my suggestion is to be prepared to take it as slowly as the most resistant pet needs. So if it is the reserved female, you need to make sure you slow down the introductions so that she is not traumatized or exceedingly upset. It's natural for the existing pets to feel a little jealous of the new baby, and you need to pay special attention to them so that they don't feel slighted... but if she is really threatened by the kitten then slow the process down and give her the time to adapt to the new kitten too.

Good luck!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Samantha, and welcome! You've got some great advice already. The only thing I would add is to keep in mind that if a Savannah may prove be too rambunctious for either of your cats, even your playful boy, you may have to consider getting another one. When you start searching breeders, keep personality in mind of any kitten you might fall in love with. That said, some Savannahs can be more laid back and not as active as others...a good breeder will know the personalities of their kittens and can advise you on which one would be the best fit for you and your home.

The kitties in your profile are beautiful :)

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you for all the advice everyone! I plan on combing through the forum tomorrow when I get some down time. This is like a savannah info treasure trove! Much more helpful than anything else I've come across!! :up:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
That is exactly the reason many of us spend time here. There is a paying-it-forward feeling too...when you feel that you have been educated by others, it is worth spending a little time sharing that knowledge :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Welcome Samantha! You've gotten some great advice about introductions, and you'll find other threads on this as well. You will also find a thread dedicated to kittens and cats available as well as a breeder directory here. If you find a breeder elsewhere and want to 'check them out' just ask about them here - we are always happy to give references. Good luck in your search for a wonderful new Savannah companion!! :up:

Dinah Russell

Savannah Kitten
Hi, all. My name is Dinah and I am a new slave to the most beautiful, sweet, and smartest Savannah in the world. I discovered this site and am thrilled to be allowed to be a member. I have dreamed of being owned by a Savannah for many years (I'm old). After my years of research and drooling, I decided that I had waited long enough and bought one three months ago. 30 seconds after my baby strutted out of her crate, I was 100% crazy in love! I have driven my friends crazy bragging about all her virtues and pictures. They now think I am nuts, until they meet her. Then they have to admit that my baby is indeed a special Blessing from the good Lord! There just could not be two like her. Though, after reading so many of the comments here, I do believe there just might be others almost as unique and wonderful and lots of other happily own slaves to them.

There is so much knowledge here, I feel like a kid in a candy store. The pictures of others almost as beautiful as my baby, is a real treat. Discovering others as crazy about their babies as I am about mine, is a vast relief! I was a little worried that my two legged kids, who haven't met their four legged fur sister yet, might be correct and I needed to locked away in a padded room!

I have so many questions, but some have already been answered thanks to this site. What a treasure trove of information.

Thank you, Paige, and all of your members for allowing me to be a member of this very special group of people.:)