Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hello Everyone

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
Good Afternoon!

I've been reading through posts for a while, thank you all for the good information. I've been interested in getting a Savannah for years, but just finally had the little one come home yesterday! I really appreciate everyone's posts as it has helped me quite a bit.

My new little one was furious/stressed when I picked him up, but within five minutes of being home he was out of the carrier playing away. He even cuddled with me this morning for a bit. His appetite came back this afternoon and it is voracious!

I'm thinking of naming him Loki :) He is already fetching, not necessarily retrieving, but it is so cute! He is an F1, 59%, full of energy and such a sweet boy! He is head butting me, purring, and such a cute sound when he wants something or I leave. I believe this is the chirping sound, but it sounds kind of whiney sometimes - still adorable.

Here's a link to his photos and a video. I hope this is ok as I could not figure out how to upload photos here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0p6u82ou1hyfdnc/AACT2qgncMEOBcDn0SKitzpla?dl=0

Now if I can just get my ragdoll to love him as well :)

KMcgown

Site Supporter
Congratulations on your new baby! He is very cute. Looks like a Loki! I am sure your ragdoll will come around after quarantine and gradual introductions. I am sure there is a lot of info on that here :big grin:

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the reply!

Dante can be aggressive so it will be a slow process. Loki is in the master bedroom and I've brought the carrier out to the living room for Dante to smell. I don't think he is pleased, but he is no longer hissing at me after I spend time with Loki. Progress, I suppose?

The vet is coming out on Monday to give Loki a look over, but I am pretty sure all is well. I can tell how smart he is already, such a precious baby boy.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Congratulations, Loki is a gorgeous boy, and welcome!

I think if you follow the advice of the multiple threads on this forum about introducing a new kitten/cat you will be able to win Dante over. It may take longer than the 'standard' two weeks, but I'm confident it will happen. Just be sure to go slow, don't rush the introductions, and take your cues from both kitties.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Loki is adorable and I agree with what everyone else has said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
Loki is doing great, such an intelligent little boy. The vet said he is super healthy with no worries and will be out to give him his second shot on Monday.

Dante and Loki were introduced and it actually went quite well! Normally Dante is the aggressor, but he is scared of Loki. Loki tries to play and Dante goes running and hissing. This doesn't stop Loki in the slightest, he just chases him. Luckily the cat tree offers Dante some refuge. I think they will be best pals soon

Thank you all for the kind comments

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear that Loki received a clean bill of health!

Try to discourage a situation where Loki is always chasing after Dante, it may quickly become a habit which will lead to discordance in the kitty family. Try playing with them side by side, each with their own wand toy, so that they grow accustomed to each others' presence but are distracted by the toy so that they forget their aggression toward each other.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
This doesn't stop Loki in the slightest, he just chases him. Luckily the cat tree offers Dante some refuge. I think they will be best pals soon
You've rushed things a bit. Two week minimum quarantine; then switching cats in rooms where Dante spends time closed in the bedroom while Loki explores the house; then supervised play sessions; then allow both of them out at the same time while supervised.

You have chosen a higher percent F1 as your first SV and that's challenging. If you don't start early on showing Loki limits and teaching him that Dante is not prey to be chased and bullied then you're in for a world of hurt.