Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

HELP! Adding second savannah to household

ericaaa

Savannah Super Cat
Morning!
Angus, our F3 neutered male, will be 2 in April, and we're ready to add another savannah to our family! We're looking at a litter of F3 kittens and love both a male and female. But we don't know which would be a better fit for Angus.
Any suggestions on whether its best to add a male or female (would get them fixed as early as possible) when there's already a neutured male in the home??
We are so torn!! Thanks!!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Generally, male/male and male/female pairings go more smoothly than female/female. The important thing to consider is temperament. If your male is dominant, you want the other cat to be somewhat submissive but not so submissive that a dominant personality will overwhelm it and vice-versa. Have a frank discussion with your breeder about Angus's personality so she can pick a kitten with a temperament that looks to be compatible.

And remember the importance of doing a proper introduction after the quarantine period. There are a couple of stickies here http://www.savannahcatchat.com/forums/savannah-cat-questions-need-advice.20/ that have good information.

ericaaa

Savannah Super Cat
Generally, male/male and male/female pairings go more smoothly than female/female. The important thing to consider is temperament. If your male is dominant, you want the other cat to be somewhat submissive but not so submissive that a dominant personality will overwhelm it and vice-versa. Have a frank discussion with your breeder about Angus's personality so she can pick a kitten with a temperament that looks to be compatible.

And remember the importance of doing a proper introduction after the quarantine period. There are a couple of stickies here http://www.savannahcatchat.com/forums/savannah-cat-questions-need-advice.20/ that have good information.
Thank you!! We definitely are planning on doing everything possible for the smoothest transition for both Angus and the new kitten. We'll take however long they need for a positive introduction.

We visited the kittens yesterday. The male was much more laid back and lazy, where the female was sweet but more playful. I honestly am having the hardest time determining which would work best with Angus.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
We visited the kittens yesterday. The male was much more laid back and lazy, where the female was sweet but more playful. I honestly am having the hardest time determining which would work best with Angus.
Is Angus laid back? If so both of the kittens would appear to be a good fit. The laid back boy may not be overly dominant and the playful girl will bring Angus some new energy. Females tend to stay playful troublemakers throughout their lives whereas males tend to become purring stationary objects. There's also no sure way to predict how personalities will change as the kitten matures. If all else fails, go with your gut instinct.

ericaaa

Savannah Super Cat
Is Angus laid back? If so both of the kittens would appear to be a good fit. The laid back boy may not be overly dominant and the playful girl will bring Angus some new energy. Females tend to stay playful troublemakers throughout their lives whereas males tend to become purring stationary objects. There's also no sure way to predict how personalities will change as the kitten matures. If all else fails, go with your gut instinct.
Angus is pretty bipolar lol im pretty positive he sleeps all day while we're at work. Once we get home he rips & runs around the house, scaling his cat tree, lunging at any toy that moves. But after about 3 hours of that, he'll sit on my fiances lap for a good 2 hours before going to bed. Just sitting & sleeping. He is a purr machine, for sure. I wouldn't want him to beat up on the lazy male kitten, but i wouldn't want the female to be constantly on his nerves either lol! I'm leaning towards the male.... i think my fiance is as well. We just decided we would get as much info on which gender would be best as a 2nd savannah as possible before we make the decision.

thanks again for your insight!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Remember that the new cat is for the two of you also, not just Angus. You have to be happy with the new baby as well. How old is the litter? Personality starts to strongly manifest around 12 wks-16 wks.

Sounds like Angus is typical when it comes to sleep/play. That will change for awhile when he and the new cat start forming a relationship. All 3 of my SVs lost weight and toned up when I got the 4th kitten last year. They were very busy playing most of the morning, sleeping most of the afternoon, and tearing up the house at night.

Please let us know your final decision and how it goes when the new baby is home. And, as always, we love pictures.

ericaaa

Savannah Super Cat
Remember that the new cat is for the two of you also, not just Angus. You have to be happy with the new baby as well. How old is the litter? Personality starts to strongly manifest around 12 wks-16 wks.

Sounds like Angus is typical when it comes to sleep/play. That will change for awhile when he and the new cat start forming a relationship. All 3 of my SVs lost weight and toned up when I got the 4th kitten last year. They were very busy playing most of the morning, sleeping most of the afternoon, and tearing up the house at night.

Please let us know your final decision and how it goes when the new baby is home. And, as always, we love pictures.
i would be happy with either kitten, and really love the look and personality of the male. Im sure you know how it is to feel like your first SV is like your first child (we dont have any kids..... yet lol) so its a little nervewracking to think about how much we would be rocking Angus' world by bringing in another cat. That's our only concern on whether to get male or female. The kittens are not even 4 weeks yet, i dont believe. They are still very wobbly walking around, very small. but it was already obvious they had very different personalities. it was pretty awesome finding a local breeder who let us visit and meet them before making our decision.

I will definitely be around more now that we'll be getting another one! i was addicted to this site while waiting for Angus. Then once i had him, i just became addicted to him! lol Thanks again<3

With a typical boy, I'd go for the kitten that fits your personality best. Altered males TYPICALLY are very gracious about new kitties coming in-- as long as they are altered (or to be altered shortly.)