Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Help! I have a 3yr old male f3, he will not stop meowing

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help with this?

Also, he has been inappropriately urinating on occasion. I love him to death, but he is driving everyone else mad.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Is he neutered? If so, how old when neutered? Any changes in the house? How long have you had him?

Yes, he is neutered., he was a kitten, I am unsure of his exact age at the time. There are no changes that would be considered new. He is a 3 years old, and I have had him over two years. He has also been spraying on everything :( The couches, chairs, carpet, in my closet, my sons mattress. I have taken him to the vet, his workup is normal. They started him on amitriptyline. We have had zero success. I feel that the vet does not know this breed well enough to make appropriate suggestions. I have taken him in to see if there is any medical condition that could be causing this, he seems to be okay. I have been giving him a lot of attention as well. We have closed the blinds to hide him from seeing other cats. I have tried new toys to keep him busy and wear him out. Nothing seems to work. He seems so agitated all the time and he is driving the others in our house mad.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Is this behavior (both the meowing and inappropriate urination) something new or has it been going on for a while?

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I'm sorry to read this.
Have you thought about contacting Marilyn Kreger? We consulted with her a few months ago, with good results.
Have you changed litter, or moved litter Boxes? Have you tried cat attract litter?
Are you using cleaning products which might attract him to mark, i.e. Ammonia based products?
Changed foods?
Are you using an enzyme cleaner ?
Is he peeing on your stuff, or spraying?
Is your son's bedding down by chance?
Any chance there is a stray cat that is prowling around where you live?

Sorry for all the questions, but when our boy started marking, it was a combination of (1) feral cat sitting on the steps taunting him (2) cleaning girls using ammonia based product to clean and (3) hubby deciding we should try a new litter, and (4) his brother attacking him, which was redirected aggression from the cat who was upset the stray was coming by.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It seems pretty clear that something has triggered this behavior if it has only been present for four months. I agree with Nikki that you need to use a potent enzyme cleaner such as Anti Icky Poo or Unique Distributors to eliminate any urine residue - the products you purchase over the counter simply don't do the trick.

I think the key though is pinpointing the source of his agitation. Have you noticed stray cats in the neighborhood recently? Has there been any change in the household dynamics? New pet, family leaving or moving in, etc. Have you tried Feliway spray and/or dispensers? I've not heard of amitriptyline being used on cats but Prozac or similar SSRIs have been known to help curb inappropriate behavior.

I also agree that a consult with an animal behaviorist such as Marilyn Krieger may be beneficial. You can contact her through her website: www.thecatcoach.com

Have you thought about contacting Marilyn Kreger? We consulted with her a few months ago, with good results.
I did not know about Marilyn, I will definitely
Have you changed litter, or moved litter Boxes? Have you tried cat attract litter?
I have not changed litter, or moved boxes. I have not tried attract litter either.
Are you using cleaning products which might attract him to mark, i.e. Ammonia based products?
No, I specifically looked to make sure :(
Changed foods?
No changes to his diet.
Are you using an enzyme cleaner ?
I have only used the product that was suggested for odor remover; I can't think of it off the top of my head.
Is he peeing on your stuff, or spraying?
He is definitely spraying. I walked in and saw him
Is your son's bedding down by chance?
No, its just a regular comforter
Any chance there is a stray cat that is prowling around where you live?
There could be, I am just not aware of any.

This is just heart wrenching. He is my baby :(

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Ok, so if you are not using an enzyme cleaning, you need to. Try anti icky poo. You can order it on amazon. If he is going in that many places, buy lots. If you don't use an enzyme cleaner, he will just keep going back over and over.

Bedding and litter boxes. When was the last time you completely changed the litter, and washed the box? Definitely try cat attract, but you may need to buy new boxes, depending on how dirty the box(Es) are. I have one boy who is fanatical and won't use the box if. It isn't sparking. How many boxes do you have? Where are they? Are they open or covered? Is another pet or family member blocking him from getting to the letterbox?

Question. How are his paws?

Second question. Is he peeing down or up/sideway? I.e. At a wall, or at so,etching that is underneath of him?

Third question. Is he still pooping in his box?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would consider asking your vet to check his testosterone level if you think he is actually spraying. On rare occasions the vet will leave behind a fragment of the testicle, which can still produce enough testosterone to cause unwanted behavior.