Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Help identifying breed?

MarX

Savannah Kitten
Hi, I got my wonderful boy Osiris about a month ago from a shelter. He was listed as a brown DSH but I am thinking he's possibly at least some part savannah or Egyptian mau? I've attached a couple pics of him for someone to take a look. On top of his coat he's extremely active and playful, He's (as far as I know) 3 years old. Just looking for some ideas from savannah owners :3
Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out.

Attachments

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Hi MarX, and welcome to you and Osiris!

I think it is entirely possible he could be a Savannah mix. He is a very pretty boy! Where was the shelter he came from?

I hope since these pics, he has been neutered :) You don't want him spraying, and even if he doesn't now, that can change quickly!

Glad you took him into your home and heart, too. Osisiris looks very happy in the pics :)

MarX

Savannah Kitten
Thanks! He's from the Local humane society in Niagara here.
He actually is neutered already in the pics just doesn't show much(there was still some swelling, pics are a few weeks old) He is very happy, he loves to play with me and our other cat a 6 y/o ginger DSH which is great as it's helping the 6 y/o get a little more in shape(he was a shelter adoption too, trying to help him slim down a bit. Was 16lbs when we got him)
I'm hoping to find a new toy for Osiris though, he manages to kill any toy within an hour of getting it.
He loves the one I've gotten him that's like this:

Unfortunately the last one lasted about 5 mins before he had ripped the ball from the string and got very defensive when trying to get it back.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
That's great he and your ginger kitty are pals!

Many cats, including Savannahs, can play quite rough with toys. You don't want cheap cat toys; instead try dog toys. Be careful of the strings, too. You don't want one of your kitties swallowing it. One of our moderators, Lori, also makes and sells heavy duty cat and dog toys: http://www.hyendry.com/

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome.

If it wasn't for the fact that my first cat passed away a long time ago, and that Osiris is male, I would swear that from the back that was my old cat. Dicey was a feral kitten rescued off the street in 1990, and had those colors and patterns.

Congrats on the happy new cat. :)

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome Marx! Nice cat you got there! Might have some Savannah and would be a later generation..... Spots are larger than the Mau's I've seen. Spots don't seem to be rosetted, but a few could have traces of that. Legs look somewhat long. Might have a touch of Bengal. But as I've noted before, this forum is rather fond of spotted cats. Really nice of you to donate your home to him.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As some have said, he might possibly be a later generation Savannah but he's not exceedingly close to our Standard where one might be at all sure. Of course, if you decide he is, there's nothing to say he isn't!

I think the guess of being part-Egyptian Mau may have as much likelihood... but then Maus were used in Savannah programs, hence making the distinction difficult!

I've recently adopted a kitten that is extremely Savannah-esque as well from the Toronto Humane Society. There are a stupid amount of low-gen BYB savannah breeders in the GTA posting on craigslist/Kijiji so I think it's highly likely these kittens are ending up in shelters due to them. Twiggy was basically in the shelter long enough to be spayed before I adopted her.

IMG_2416.JPG IMG_2411.JPG IMG_2387.JPG IMG_2409.JPG

Here is my Twiggy on youtube panting while playing:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
You are right, I think there is enough in her structure (both head and body) to make one think she could be a later gen Savannah...

Be aware though, a lot of those seeming BYB "Savannah" breeders may simply be marketing non-Savannahs to the uninformed. When kittens come unregistered, the risk is they are just getting a spotted kitten of indeterminate breed... I had a person contact me as the person's craigslist ad (or other online classified, I don't remember) had featured cats from my website...they'd excitedly paid and got a kitten that looked nothing like them and hence she'd done the research to find out they were my cats (and not for sale). The seller had claimed the kitten was 8 weeks old and looked big...her vet then told her the kitten was 6 MONTHS old...oops.

You are right, I think there is enough in her structure (both head and body) to make one think she could be a later gen Savannah...

Be aware though, a lot of those seeming BYB "Savannah" breeders may simply be marketing non-Savannahs to the uninformed. When kittens come unregistered, the risk is they are just getting a spotted kitten of indeterminate breed... I had a person contact me as the person's craigslist ad (or other online classified, I don't remember) had featured cats from my website...they'd excitedly paid and got a kitten that looked nothing like them and hence she'd done the research to find out they were my cats (and not for sale). The seller had claimed the kitten was 8 weeks old and looked big...her vet then told her the kitten was 6 MONTHS old...oops.
At least one of the BYB breeders has legitmate lower-gen cats, and was advertising selling off some of her "proven breeders" so people could "start their own business" ugghh. Some of them are postings from supposed catteries in Quebec willing to ship, that are supposedly TICA registered, but when I checked TICA's website they were certainly NOT registered.

Anyway, I'd never purchase a purebred cat on craigslist or Kijiji period.... but that was my first thought as to how she could have ended up in a shelter. Either that or maybe she happened to escape from a very unfortunate owner as she is blindingly fast and utterly fearless.

I checked the missing kittens/cats sections on craigslist too... no one was missing a SV or tabby kitten...

Anyway, some day I may get her DNA tested for serval DNA, but until then she's a gorgeous 'lil spotty cat with just the BEST disposition you could ever want in a feline.