Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help...need to find a raw food supplement for my F4 Savannah with food allergies!!

gmizzy

Savannah Child
Hello there! This is my first post and I'm hoping to get some answers about feeding my Savannahs a complete raw diet. I will try to keep this as short and to the point as possible lol.
I have 2 Savannahs, one is a almost 1 yr old F2 (which can eat anything) and the other is a 2 yr old F4 (which has sensitivities to certain foods, mainly chicken and eggs for sure based on trials and possibly seafood). Originally as a kitten he was on a commercial diet (blue buffalo can and dry chicken flavor). He had minor flare ups as a kitten starting at about 6 - 8 months, but although minor we still switched him to blue Buffalo L.I.D duck and potato formula which he was not crazy about. After about six months of feeding him that I decided to try and feed him chicken again to see if he got past the allergy or if it was indeed from the chicken. He once again had a reaction and now was a little over 1 yr old. It was the worst one to date and he was having more severe allergy symptoms itchy eyes, itchy skin, hair loss around the ears and a lump on the back of his legs which was an inflammatory response. I took him to my vet again and that's when we decided to do a strict elimination diet. My vet wanted me to feed him their prescription food,which at the time was not an option because I had just gotten my F2 and he was a kitten. I knew he would have access to this prescription food and I didn't feel that he would get the nutrients that he needs and knew there was other options that were far better for both. So while I did a lot of research I switched them to natural balance duck and green pea formula (can and dry) but my F4 did not care for the can food just the dry and I didn't want him on just a dry diet because I know that is not good for him...he needed some kind of wet food. So after researching raw and keeping him on a strict elimination diet for 2 months and only giving him the duck and green pea formula and seeing his allergy symptoms had cleared up. I made the decision to feed them raw. I have now been feeding raw for about 6 months! I switched him to an all duck raw diet from Darwins and of course duck is still not his favorite so I switched him to Turkey. Darwins had some customer service issues and after a few months of being with them I had to cancel my account because the company was going downhill. Since December I now buy from hare today, which I absolutely love and switched everybody to ground rabbit (no bones or organs to go along with the supplement I had on hand). I was getting a supplement called Mazuri, which seemed to be the best that I've tried, but after using it for a few months my F4 was still having flare ups/reactions so that is when I took a closer look at the ingredients (I was shocked) and found that it has cooked chicken in it....ugh!! I wanted to scream...I finally find a supplement that everyone likes and I have to stop it because it has chicken in it! I've tried Feline T, but nobody cares for it and I just bought the supplement from hare today, but it has egg in it, which he also cannot tolerate. My last order from hare today I switched them to ground rabbit with bones and organs as for some added nutrients, being that my F4 cannot have a supplement at this time, but I know he needs a supplement. So basically I cannot find a supplement that my F4 can eat.
So my questions are:
1. Is anyone else going through the nightmare that I'm going through and if so what kind of food supplement is allergy friendly?
2. Can anyone recommend one that is tasty and free from chicken or eggs? (I've also considered adding my own vitamins, but before doing all that extra work(which would be fine by me)... I just want to make sure that there isn't a premixed supplement that will work for my situation)
3. Will the ground rabbit with organs and bones or whole carcass rabbit be sufficient enough for him and have enough nutrients if I add just Taurine?
P.s. They both also eat the natural balance duck and green pea dry food only (limited though). I don't let them fill up on it that way they will eat raw meals twice a day. I've also researched this forum in hopes to find some answers but came up empty.
Sorry for the lengthy post and thank you in advance for any help/guidance!!

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
As long as the raw diet is balanced with 80%muscle meat , 10% bone and 10% organs you are OK with just adding taurine (and you only need that because it's rabbit). Just double check the bone content in your mix. Hare Today used to have too much bone in their ground raw so you'd need to add some boneless meat.

Have you tried him with beef?

gmizzy

Savannah Child
As long as the raw diet is balanced with 80%muscle meat , 10% bone and 10% organs you are OK with just adding taurine (and you only need that because it's rabbit). Just double check the bone content in your mix. Hare Today used to have too much bone in their ground raw so you'd need to add some boneless meat.

Have you tried him with beef?

Thank you for your reply. I will double check ratios with hare today. I was almost certain with the research that I did that it would be OK for him to have ground raw as long as it had bone and organs. Thanks for confirming...it puts my mind at ease.

Yes, he was given ground beef as a kitten once in a while and when he started having the reactions and I switched him to the elimination diet I also kept beef out of the equation just because he had been on it before. I wanted to go with a protein source that he had never tried.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
You could try him with some beef chunks (not ground) and see how he does. I just checked and if you are getting the Ground Rabbit with Meat/Organs/Bone it is 15% bone so you should add a little boneless meat. Beef is cheaper and easier to get than boneless rabbit so I thought that might be a good easy way to reduce his overall bone content. Several of my cats like the beef heart chunks as a treat. And beef heart is an excellent source of taurine as well, so that could also reduce the need to add a taurine supplement.

gmizzy

Savannah Child
You could try him with some beef chunks (not ground) and see how he does. I just checked and if you are getting the Ground Rabbit with Meat/Organs/Bone it is 15% bone so you should add a little boneless meat. Beef is cheaper and easier to get than boneless rabbit so I thought that might be a good easy way to reduce his overall bone content. Several of my cats like the beef heart chunks as a treat. And beef heart is an excellent source of taurine as well, so that could also reduce the need to add a taurine supplement.

Very helpful info...thank you so much!! Yes, you're right... I looked it up on the Hare Today website as well. That sounds like a great place to start. He really liked beef, so maybe it's not a bad idea to re-introduce him to it, plus it seems like it's exactly what I need to add to the rabbit to get the ratios we're looking for. Thanks again!!

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Very helpful info...thank you so much!! Yes, you're right... I looked it up on the Hare Today website as well. That sounds like a great place to start. He really liked beef, so maybe it's not a bad idea to re-introduce him to it, plus it seems like it's exactly what I need to add to the rabbit to get the ratios we're looking for. Thanks again!!
You're welcome!! Eating chunks will also be good to help keep his teeth clean. You don't really want to get pre ground beef at the grocery store- more chance for contamination to happen. Next time you have steak or beef roast just cut off a piece the size of your thumbnail and see if he likes it. If he eats that well and doesn't have issues with it allergy wise you could keep going with it, or see about beef heart. Just don't give too much of that at once and start small. It is tougher to chew and too much can cause runny stool in some cats.

gmizzy

Savannah Child
You're welcome!! Eating chunks will also be good to help keep his teeth clean. You don't really want to get pre ground beef at the grocery store- more chance for contamination to happen. Next time you have steak or beef roast just cut off a piece the size of your thumbnail and see if he likes it. If he eats that well and doesn't have issues with it allergy wise you could keep going with it, or see about beef heart. Just don't give too much of that at once and start small. It is tougher to chew and too much can cause runny stool in some cats.

Ok, great!! That's a better idea...here I was jumping right to hare today to order the beef hearts, but it's probably a good idea to try it out first lol. I'm just so happy to have direction as to what I need to do to ensure he's getting the nutrients he needs. Believe me the last year and a half have been a nightmare just trying to find what works for him, plus having 2 Savannahs I would really like them to be on the same diet because it would be so much easier tri big grin:

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Ok, great!! That's a better idea...here I was jumping right to hare today to order the beef hearts, but it's probably a good idea to try it out first lol. I'm just so happy to have direction as to what I need to do to ensure he's getting the nutrients he needs. Believe me the last year and a half have been a nightmare just trying to find what works for him, plus having 2 Savannahs I would really like them to be on the same diet because it would be so much easier tri big grin:
I hear ya!! I have 8 and make 3 different raw recipes to keep everyone happy.

If you are on FB you can join a group called "Cat CRAP - Completely Raw and Proud" also for help. And http://www.catnutrition.org/ also has a lot of good information.