Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP..... Neutering - what to expect

Hina

Site Supporter
We had originally planned to neuter Sasha at the age of 5 or 6 months, but we will be out of town for a couple of weeks and the cat boarding we selected mandates all kitten 4 months and above to be neutered/spayed. So the neutering appointment is confirmed for Friday and I'm a nervous wreck worrying myself sick that the poor baby would be in pain after that.
The vets office says he should just bounce back the next day or so, but I'm still worried. Would he be in a lot of pain? What should I expect, would Sasha need any special care after that, do's and dont's ...

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Hina. He may be tender overnight, but not in a lot of pain. All the boys I have had neutered were wanting to run and play the next day. My vet would make them wear a cone tho. SO they were not real happy about that. ;)
Just keep him from licking the area.

Hina

Site Supporter
Poor boys in the cones!!!! I am sure Sasha would hate it too. He wants his walking jacket and collar off him the minute we reach home after his walk!!!
I was checking some cones for him but thought I should wait for the vets suggestion. Btw, how many days in the cone?

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Mine till he was healed ( a week ), But some vets not at all. John C's Elsa had none. I think the same for Atticus.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
All 4 of mine came home the afternoon they were neutered and didn't have a clue anything had happened. No pain meds, no cones. They came home and started to play. I know you're supposed to keep them from roughhousing for a day or 2 but we are talking about Savannahs. I would have had to nail their feet to the floor to keep them quiet.

FYI -- this is the procedure my vet uses. No sutures required. This is not my vet and I think this guy is kind of a goof but it shows how easy the operation can be.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
A neuter is a relatively simple procedure, my vet doesn't leave sutures so no cone head and very quick healing. They will likely be subdued that evening and then back to normal the next day.... keep an eye on the kitten that he is not licking the area too much (they always will need to wash off the smell of the vet) and that the incision heals and does not weep.