Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!!, Peeing on boxes, carpet floor...after being perfect for over a year...????

Robo1

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Guys,

been a while ...I know there are a million threads on this topic...but let me chime in with my problem...Loki has been great and for over a year no problems with using his liter box..his health is fine and he eats and drinks...no issues....

several months back after going on short weekend trips, etc...we come home and find loki had peed on the carpet or pooped. he did it ramdom...diff. places througout the house. then after one trip he started peeing in the upstairs game room...I ended up removing the carpet and pad...I also added a second litter box upstairs which he barely uses. same litter, same food, same everything....nothing new to the house...we thought he was doing it more after spending more time outside..and thought he was maybe getting to use to doing what he wants. he would pee outside also when he went out for walks in the back yard...problen with letting him out is he now knows how to open doors and and we have to keep them locked...he begs to be let out and whines and jumps up on the door handles trying to open them. Sorry back to topic.

So there are intervals where he is good and we thingk its over, but we went away for 3 days and when I got home he had pee in my closet on some cardboard boxes...he was still using his litter box...just decided to pee on my boxes and chew on them...he also a month earlier had been placed back into the washroom to try and retrain him and his habits...he ended up peeing on cardboard boxes that I had up on the top shelf.

HELP!!! before I find him a new home...I love Loki photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG
, but I do not want him destroying the home.

thanks guys for any help...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
What size are your litterboxes? Where are they located? What litter are you using? Are they covered/uncovered?

How old is Loki? And he's neutered I assume?

Is Loki declawed at all?

What are you using to clean up the pee?

Do you have petsitter come in when you go away?

Robo1

Savannah Super Cat
very large litter boxes...same ones he has always had...with a dome cover and door...he uses it so its not like he is refusing to use his box..I use pine pellets, which he has used since he was a baby. He is neutered and was early on...prior to any issues with peeing...He is not declawed, and I am using something from the PETCO store to clean up pee..enzime cleaner..he is not peeing in the same place...and My son was taking care of him , which Loki knows...as my son comes over regulary..

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I think he may be upset because you go away for the weekends. He may be acting out because he feels left out and ignored. Just my feelings. I may be wrong.
He is majestic though. NO WAY could I ever get rid of him NO MATTER WHAT.

Last edited:

Robo1

Savannah Super Cat
yes...I think he is acting out too...problem is he continues after we are home...so I know know what to do to change it....and I was just action out of frustratioin...waking up at 2 am to clean cat pee on my work stuff and clothes..can do taht to ya...lol

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
That's not entirely true, he's using it which means he knows he OUGHT to use it. BUT cats can and will mount protests if they are not happy with a box... it is very possible that he's getting fed up with the hooded box...as a cat grows the hooded boxes can get cramped and claustrophobic. And so something that always worked in the past may well not be working that well now.

I would suggest taking the covers off the boxes and see if that helps the issue. He won't be the first cat if it does...

Not all enzyme cleaners are created equal. Nature's Miracle is very dilute and ineffective for example. Mostly Savannah Rescue suggests going online and purchasing AntiIckyPoo or Unique Distributors Odor Eliminator as both of these products are more concentrated and effective. In terms of store-bought cleaners, the best of those I've trialled is the Bissell product they keep at Petco and Petsmart or the Bac-Out cleaner in the household section of Whole Foods Markets. Neither is quite as good but they are more accessible if you need them asap. It's important when dealing with carpet to really soak through to the underpad to remove all trace odors...

Carykd7kau

I know in your profession you pretty much have to be looking (and smelling) good. I was there many years ago.
I would listen to what Brigitte says. She is much more experienced with Savannahs than I am. My feelings are just that...Feelings.
And I wish you the best Robo. ;) Loki is a great cat.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Cary, this advice is not Savannah-specific... Savannahs behave like any other domestic cat and so the advice given is pretty much the same whether it was a Maine Coon, Ragdoll or Savannah ... often what works when younger can change as a cat matures. And when a cat reaches their elderly years the box they happily jumped up to seems too far away and again there can be issues.

But having done rescue for 11 years or more now, we do get to hear of the most common cat behavioral issues. Much of Savannah Rescue's work is giving advice, not rehoming of cats!

Carykd7kau

Well, all I know is you know more than me. My gut works some times, and others not. And in case I haven't told you, thank you for being there for the abandoned and unwanted fur babies. Folks like you give me hope for humanity. :)