Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

HELP Please

Sistersavannahs

Savannah Super Cat
Help! We have our 2 Savannah girls who are @1 1/2 years old. We were cleaning out our fish tanks, thinking all would be fine. We left the garage door open a speck...it has an auto shut spring on it that they could not open.
Until Today! Both went Outside! :eek:o_O:oops:
We panicked! Jasmine stayed in the garage and came in ASAP, but Poppy walked around the house outside from the front to the backyard! :LOL:
So please help with suggestions on how to teach the girls how to walk on a leash outside?????
We have walked them inside with vests and leashes (yay).
But how do we transition safely to the outside with us deciding when to go out — not them?
All Savannah tested suggestions would help please! :cry:

Sistersavannahs

Savannah Super Cat
One more thought—we live in Arizona—coyotes, bobcats and other wildlife darlings live in our neighborhood. Sooooo
We aren’t comfortable with letting them out to roam by themselves. :drink::paw:

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I too live in a canyon with coyotes, bobcats and mountain lions. We have a catio attached to the bedroom to give them access to fresh air and sunshine but only allow them there when they are supervised.

If you have them walking inside with vests and leashes, the hard part should be done. Now you have to convince them that they can only go outside with your permission (and while wearing their vests and leashes!).

We carry our furkids over the threshold. They will run to the door and we scoop them up and carry them over the threshold and set them back down on the other side. If they manage to get out without being carried over the threshold we put them back inside again.

Other people have been successful with training them to associate the carrier with getting to go on adventures (and not just bad adventures such as the vet). They place the cat with vest and leash in the carrier and carry the cats outside.

Sistersavannahs

Savannah Super Cat
Oh Rafiki - that’s wonderful advice. I will have to see what a catio is? Sounds like something they would love.
I do like your suggestion to always carry them out the door. With their vests and leashes on them!
I think they’re ready for their Supervised Outing into our back yard! Chirp tri smug:tri wink:
Thank you!

Sistersavannahs

Savannah Super Cat
Oh it sounds lovely for your cats and for you all. I thank you for explaining a catio to me. We have a spot that would work nicely. I think tomorrow we will try your idea of taking them out the door and walk outside with vests and leashes!
A new adventure for our Savannahs is gonna happen!:roflmao::lol:tri smug:tri rolleyes:

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Remember that Savannahs have freakishly small heads so make sure that they are always in front of you. They can escape the vests by backing out of them and getting an elbow under the belly strap so make sure the belly strap is tight (only one finger fits underneath) and if they stop and back up, keep the leash loose and walk towards them.