Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

HELP! Very smelly poop!

C

Crushton

Savannah Peeps,
My F3 boy sometimes has VERY stinky poops and I'm wondering if its his food and if it is what sort of food you guys recommend? Currently I feed him both wet and dry food. The dry food is blue buffalo wilderness and the wet i feed is the fancy feast gravy lovers edition.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
First thing I would do is take a stool sample to the vet for a PCR panel and make sure there are no parasites or other health issues. At the same time, I recommend transitioning him off kibble and onto wet only. The Fancy Feast gravy lovers stuff isn't all that great as far as ingredients go. Slowly transition him to a canned food that has meat protein as the first 3 ingredients. Once he is on a high quality canned food, you can decide if you want to go the raw diet route -- either whole prey or a raw diet that mimics whole prey. There is a Facebook group called Prey Model Raw Fed Cats that would be extremely helpful if you decide to go to a raw diet.

Here is info to help you choose the best food for your boy: http://catinfo.org/

C

Crushton

Whats your opinion on Blue Buffalo wilderness wet food? it shows Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver as the first 3 ingredients

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Although diet can cause stinky poops, if it is really stinky then it might be an infection. GI infections don't always cause diarrhea, so as Witchy has suggested, I would started with testing.

The Blue Buffalo is okay, I would definitely get rid of the Fancy Feast.

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
Savannah Peeps,
My F3 boy sometimes has VERY stinky poops and I'm wondering if its his food and if it is what sort of food you guys recommend? Currently I feed him both wet and dry food. The dry food is blue buffalo wilderness and the wet i feed is the fancy feast gravy lovers edition.

Changing my boy to Darwin’s raw made a big difference. We were feeding Instinct wet and dry; which is one of the better processed foods, but noticed a big difference in the smell when we switched. He doesn’t even bother covering his up; since we got in the habit of running and scooping it for him every time if we were home. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remi's Mommy

Site Supporter
Although diet can cause stinky poops, if it is really stinky then it might be an infection. GI infections don't always cause diarrhea, so as Witchy has suggested, I would started with testing.

The Blue Buffalo is okay, I would definitely get rid of the Fancy Feast.

Raw food is by far the best way to go. The poops are small and don’t smell much . But Sometimes are finicky little ones lose their taste for it. Natures instinct is a good canned food, I would try origin brand of dry. It is processed. at a very low temperature, it comes in the cat kitten which is chicken, regional red, six fish, and tundra which is Remi‘s favorite. This is a very good if not the best dry available. They all contain all the organ meats and very little added Ingredients.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Be careful with Orijen dry, if you buy the big bag it is best to transfer it to an airtight container (their bags don't reseal) - we had a bag of the regional red go bad and cause vomiting. Otherwise great stuff.

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
Raw food is by far the best way to go. The poops are small and don’t smell much . But Sometimes are finicky little ones lose their taste for it. Natures instinct is a good canned food, I would try origin brand of dry. It is processed. at a very low temperature, it comes in the cat kitten which is chicken, regional red, six fish, and tundra which is Remi‘s favorite. This is a very good if not the best dry available. They all contain all the organ meats and very little added Ingredients.

Do you think the Origin dry is better than the Natural Instinct? I have been using the Natural Instinct dry kitten in addition to his raw, but haven’t checked Origin.

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
Do you think the Origin dry is better than the Natural Instinct? I have been using the Natural Instinct dry kitten in addition to his raw, but haven’t checked Origin.

Oops on the spelling!

Remi's Mommy

Site Supporter

Natural instinct isn’t a bad food, but origin is in a class by itself. 2/3 is fresh raw, 1/3 is dried at a low temperature. It is a whole prey diet , meaning, it contains all the organs and cartilage and bone. The Origen tundra is a real good one. A Little pricey at $37 a bag for only 4 pounds. Somethings you get what you pay for. Pull up their website, I think you’ll be impressed. Hope this helps