Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Help with Behavior, urinating and deficating

maryanne.christi

Savannah Adult
It started about three weeks ago we were on the deck with the cat, the caged wanted to go in , we let him in and then later that evening we found that he had unrelated and dedicated on our bed. We locked up the room got at special cleaner cleaned everything ad left the room out os bounds for a week. We let him back and and 4 days ago he urinated on the bed again. Today he urinated and dedicated on the couch.

We have now moved him to a room with his litter food and toys, he is not happy at all has been howling since we put him in. I don't know what else to do. We had this problem with a cat three years ago and ended up rehoming him. This is a new house and all different furniture so he cannot smell what the other cat did.

Koshi is 6 months old, he was neutered when he was 4 months. Other than this issue he is a great cat, we love him. I just don't know what else to do.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
It sounds like something outside upset him. Has he been to the vet for a complete checkup? You could try a Feliway diffuser in the room he is in. And what special cleaner did you get to clean the areas? The enzyme cleaners you get at the stores are not effective.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, knowing what cleaner you used would be helpful...they aren't all the same and some are more effective. With a bed, you need to also consider if the bedding is down as that can be an issue, if the urine soaked into the mattress then it can be hard to then properly soak the mattress in enzyme cleaner to make sure all of the urine is dealt with...

BTW, when you had Koshi neutered, did you also get him declawed? That might affect the situation also.

What litter are you using? What size litterbox? Is it covered? is it automated? Although cats can tolerate a less-than-ideal litterbox situation for a while, something can just "snap" and they will avoid it, so it is worth having a good look at this to see if it might be affecting things. I would try a large open box with Cat Attract litter and see if that helps.

maryanne.christi

Savannah Adult
We have not had him declawed. I used nature's miracle cleaner used almost a full 1.5 litre bottle. We have 2 cats and 4 litter boxes in various locations through out the house, one is in our ensuite bathroom 3 are in the basement. Where can you purchase cat attract litter. None our litter boxes are covered and they are all large.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Natures Miracle is much LESS than a miracle, it is pretty ineffective. Highly recommend Anti Icky Poo: https://smile.amazon.com/Mister-Max...&qid=1502153464&sr=8-3&keywords=anti+icky+poo with the carpet injector to get into any matresses, couches or under carpet padding: https://smile.amazon.com/Anti-Icky-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R4KVFZ3661DFGV6R76CK

OR Unique Distributors POE:http://uniquedistributors.com/petodel.html

You can get Cat Attract litter at pretty much any pet store that carries litters. Would also recommend a vet check, and Feliway diffuser.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
2 cats including this one or 2 cats in addition to this kitten? How does he get along with the other cat(s)?

Nature's Miracle is a weak and ineffectual cleaner imho. We (Savannah Rescue) recommend either Anti Icky Poo or Unique Distributors Odor Eliminator. The anti icky poo website also offers a carpet injector that I have used in past years to inject enzyme cleaner into sofa cushions as the foam and padding in sofas can mean the urine is hard to properly clean away. I've also used enzyme cleaner instead of detergent in a Green Machine steam cleaner to get the solution into the sofa and clean it.

I think Petsmart keeps Cat Attract litter.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with the others - you need to reclean the affected areas with a good enzyme cleaner such as Anti-Icky-Poo or Unique Distributors, and try the Cat Attract litter in your litter boxes. Also, check to make sure there are no stray cats outside that might be upsetting him, even neutered cats will sometimes mark their territory if they feel threatened by a strange cat coming into their 'territory'.

maryanne.christi

Savannah Adult
2 cats including this one or 2 cats in addition to this kitten? How does he get along with the other cat(s)?

Nature's Miracle is a weak and ineffectual cleaner imho. We (Savannah Rescue) recommend either Anti Icky Poo or Unique Distributors Odor Eliminator. The anti icky poo website also offers a carpet injector that I have used in past years to inject enzyme cleaner into sofa cushions as the foam and padding in sofas can mean the urine is hard to properly clean away. I've also used enzyme cleaner instead of detergent in a Green Machine steam cleaner to get the solution into the sofa and clean it.

I think Petsmart keeps Cat Attract litter.

We have two cats in total. The other cat is a 20 year old female. He wants to play with her but she is to old and can't be bothered with him, she usually just runs away from him when he wants to play.

Rob1984

Savannah Super Cat
i was actually wondering what dumalove said about something upsetting him outside

is it possible for the cat to be scared by something outside now he is marking his territory inside to try and keep whatever scared him away ?

maryanne.christi

Savannah Adult
i was actually wondering what dumalove said about something upsetting him outside

is it possible for the cat to be scared by something outside now he is marking his territory inside to try and keep whatever scared him away ?
My husband saw another cat hanging around the front window behind the couch. We scared him off and have closed the blinds. Have taken him out of quarantine now and used and enzyme remover. We also got one of this diffusers with fermones (spelling?). So far so good.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk