Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Help with pregnant Savannah

ehous

Savannah Kitten
Hello!
I posted on the Savannah breeding forum but I thought I’d also post on here.
I acquired a pregnant f4 who is due in approximately 5 weeks. The guy who we got her from told me some things I’ve never heard before, and I wanted to know if they are true and common instances.
First, he said that we cannot have our cats anywhere near her for about 10 weeks because the queen will eat her babies. Is that true? I cannot find any info on that. I understand keeping them away when she is getting close to and has the babies but she’s still 5 weeks out.
Also, will she really eat the babies if we go near her? He said to lock her in the closet and only go in to change litter and feed. I feel so bad keeping her in the closet. She wants out so bad. Please let me know
Thank you so much
Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Oh wow! I can't imagine how worrying it is to have adopted a pregnant cat when you have no experience in this and no breeding mentor it seems!

Are you intending to start breeding? I would advise finding a mentor, or joining Savannah Breeding Beginners group on Facebook to get advice.

Yes and no. A cat that is stressed and threatened may instinctually feel that her babies are so vulnerable to attack that they eat them to spare them the torture of being prey to another animal. So yes, it is important to make your new cat feel safe. You should give her her own room and within that room provide a cave-like space to nest in. A dog crate with a blanket over the top can work but some even just get a large cardboard box on it's side and adapt that for use.

I would not advise just throwing any adult cat into an existing pet household immediately... with ANY new addition you would keep in their own room for two weeks before starting any introductions. Given she will be hormonal and likely more defensive due to more advanced pregnancy at that time, you may need to keep her in that room longer.

No, she should NOT wish to eat her babies if YOU go near her. You have five weeks to spend time with her, reassuring her that you are a good human and someone she likes and trusts. Some female cats can be protective of their young, especially if they are insecure and unsettled. So if you aren't properly bonded by the time the kittens arrive (which I don't think likely, 5 weeks should be good), she might be defensive and not want you near her babies. A protective mama cat might hiss, slap and lunge at you coming near the babies...

I strongly suggest doing research into birthing and raising kittens in the next few weeks!

ehous

Savannah Kitten
Oh wow! I can't imagine how worrying it is to have adopted a pregnant cat when you have no experience in this and no breeding mentor it seems!

Are you intending to start breeding? I would advise finding a mentor, or joining Savannah Breeding Beginners group on Facebook to get advice.

Yes and no. A cat that is stressed and threatened may instinctually feel that her babies are so vulnerable to attack that they eat them to spare them the torture of being prey to another animal. So yes, it is important to make your new cat feel safe. You should give her her own room and within that room provide a cave-like space to nest in. A dog crate with a blanket over the top can work but some even just get a large cardboard box on it's side and adapt that for use.

I would not advise just throwing any adult cat into an existing pet household immediately... with ANY new addition you would keep in their own room for two weeks before starting any introductions. Given she will be hormonal and likely more defensive due to more advanced pregnancy at that time, you may need to keep her in that room longer.

No, she should NOT wish to eat her babies if YOU go near her. You have five weeks to spend time with her, reassuring her that you are a good human and someone she likes and trusts. Some female cats can be protective of their young, especially if they are insecure and unsettled. So if you aren't properly bonded by the time the kittens arrive (which I don't think likely, 5 weeks should be good), she might be defensive and not want you near her babies. A protective mama cat might hiss, slap and lunge at you coming near the babies...

I strongly suggest doing research into birthing and raising kittens in the next few weeks!
Thank you so much! I have experience with neonatal kittens but not Savannah’s specifically. I do not plan on breeding further, I was just helping a friend out, hoping to give the kittens and Mom a good life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk