Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Help

Joey Jordan

Savannah Super Cat
I.m new to the site. I have a 5 month old silver spotted savannah. He is having a problem with reaccuring diarrhea. I've taken him to my vet twice for the probem and it will get better but then comes back. Any suggestions on how to take care of this completely?

Joey Jordan

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome to the forum. I'll let the more experienced folks address the question.

What are you feeding your savannah?
He's on Life's Abundance. I had him on Natural Balance, Duck and Green Pea. I have an adult cat also and was trying to feed them both the same. I transitioned him very slowly (about three weeks) but he's still having the same problem.

Alex and Katie

Savannah Super Cat
from past experiences with giardia both in dogs and myself, they tend to prescribe Flagyl which to be honest is even worse than the parasite itself. that being said that's only while on Flagyl, a month later I was totally fine as was my dog when he got it so not sure why he would still have the loose stool

Joey Jordan

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you for your response. My little fella is Zuri as well. I don't think the medication is causing the problem. It starts back up after he completes the medication. I don't know if it's the fool he's on (Life Abundance) or something else. The vet is putting him back on a special food for sensitive stomach for a few weeks to see if that helps clear it up. I was told he couldn't stay on that food for a long period since he is still a kitten. I just hat it for him. I'm sure his little stomach hurts him. Hasn't slowed him down though. LOL..

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
If it is a fecal float then Giardia and coccidiosis can sometimes be missed or misdiagnosed. The medication can for sure cause the diarrhea. If it was giardia, it might have been treated successfully if they used fendabendazole for 5 days. If metronidazole (flagyl) it doesn't work most of the time. You can see diahreah after the treatment as the stomaches good bacteria is usually all unbalanced from the treatment and you end up with a clostridium perfringens enterotoxin (basically all it's saying is the guts bacterial flow is all messed up and producing toxins). In my opinion I wouldn't do anything but a fecal pcr test. That is best was to know what is going on. You can upset the stomach more by changing food again or introducing more meds. If you choose to her a PCR done then make sure there were no meds or dewormer given about 2 weeks before you collect a sample. Also start your kitten on a food probiotic such as forti flora to help rebuild the good bacteria in the stomach.