Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hi Everyone! New F3 Savannah Owner to Be! =)

Gersh310

Savannah Child
Hello everyone! I am new to the site and absolutely love the comradery and community you all share! I've learned so much just from reading all the different discussions posted in the forums! =)

I just put down my deposit for an F3 male kitty with Select Exotics. I was a bit nervous and skeptical at first since Holly isn't the greatest at responding to her emails and text messages. But after seeing that many of you have had positive experiences with her and Select Exotics I was reassured of their cattery's legitimacy. She could definitely work on improving her communication skills though, especially for first time Savannah owners. It's an exciting, yet nerve wrecking experience considering how many scams and irresponsible breeders there are everywhere!

I've uploaded some of the pics of the kitty I chose. I have yet to name him since he will not be arriving until early December. His parents are Kymbur (mom) and Joomah (dad) and he's currently listed on their website as Kymbur #4 (http://savannahcatbreed.com/f3-savannah-kittens).

I am a bit curious as to what goes into determining the price of each kitten, since the one I chose was the most expensive out of all the other F3's they had available. I am super anxious and just want to feel reassured I am adopting the best F3 kitty, that's both happy and healthy from SE. Feel free to post your thoughts and opinions. I would love to hear from you all! Cheers! =) K4 - 1.jpg Kymbur 4.JPG K4 - 2.jpg Kymbur 4.1.JPG

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
Congrats! He's adorable :love:

I'm surprised Holly wasn't great at responding in the beginning... she was great with me before she received all the money for the kitten. After that, not so great (n) After I received Kai, I never received replies to the good updates or simple questions, but luckily when my 1st kitten got sick she was good at responding and was also good with honoring the health guarantee and replacing the kitten once he passed away from FIP. My new kitten Shango, is now about 10 months old and has had zero health problems.

The closer to the breed standard, the higher the price. SE seems to price all of their kittens on the higher side. They are more of a business looking to make money. They have no questionnaire to see what kind of people they are selling their kittens to and they don't seem to have any restrictions as to where they will send them. Pretty much, if you have the money you can have a kitten.

I have no regrets about getting my 1st Savannah from SE, but if I ever get another one I would rather go through a different breeder. Most of the breeders on this forum are definitely not breeding to simply make money. They do it because they love the breed and are happy to offer support before and AFTER the purchase. They also care a lot about their kittens and make sure each kitten goes to a good home that is a good fit for the kitten. To me, that says a lot about the breeder.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Congrats on your new kitten - he is gorgeous!

All I will say about SE is that their prices are higher because their overhead is tremendous - their kittens/cats are no better than any other breeder. I'm sure there are other reasons they have for overpricing their kittens, but only they know the reason :)

Jambi_wild

Savannah Super Cat
He is precious.

I also am a new F3 SV Mum to be. Bought my handsome man Jambi, born July 25th and he should be coming home anytime now. This forum is great, it is amazing and reassuring to know that their are other crazy cat people out there like me.

Best advice I can give you is patience. Jambi was suppose to arrive the 11th of October but is still nursing. Unlike regular domestic cats that are over being a mama cat at 8 weeks, the wildness in the F3 and up have traits of a more and unfortunately for eager me, a longer bonding and nursing period for her little cubs. I purchased Jambi though WildTafari and Kelli is amazing and I just know her compassion and experience with these breeds assure that she knows best.
It is a waiting game. So be patient. :cat::paw:

Good Luck and Congrats

Gersh310

Savannah Child
He is precious.

I also am a new F3 SV Mum to be. Bought my handsome man Jambi, born July 25th and he should be coming home anytime now. This forum is great, it is amazing and reassuring to know that their are other crazy cat people out there like me.

Best advice I can give you is patience. Jambi was suppose to arrive the 11th of October but is still nursing. Unlike regular domestic cats that are over being a mama cat at 8 weeks, the wildness in the F3 and up have traits of a more and unfortunately for eager me, a longer bonding and nursing period for her little cubs. I purchased Jambi though WildTafari and Kelli is amazing and I just know her compassion and experience with these breeds assure that she knows best.

Good Luck and Congrats

Awesome! That's great to hear! And yes it is definitely a waiting game. Best wishes to you and your new kitty!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Congratulations on your new kitty, he is very cute!
As for the prices, I guess they charge that much because YOU are willing to pay it! I nearly have a heart attack every time I look at the prices on their website, LOL!!!

admin

Paige
Staff member
He is precious.

Good Luck and Congrats

Just a couple of corrections - there is no wildness in savannah cats and whether regular house cat or savannah, the moms will allow nursing for as long as they want. Savannahs have kittens not cubs - wild cats like cheetahs, lions and tigers have cubs...we are always careful to remind people that savannah cats are not wild cats - we have enough issues with bans and restrictions.

Congrats on your new F3 - pics will be appreciated!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Welcome Gersh, your baby is adorable and I'm sure will your life will be filled with a lot of mischief and love. I look forward to seeing lots of pictures as he grows once he's home with you.

Gersh310

Savannah Child
Congrats! He's adorable :love:

I'm surprised Holly wasn't great at responding in the beginning... she was great with me before she received all the money for the kitten. After that, not so great (n) After I received Kai, I never received replies to the good updates or simple questions, but luckily when my 1st kitten got sick she was good at responding and was also good with honoring the health guarantee and replacing the kitten once he passed away from FIP. My new kitten Shango, is now about 10 months old and has had zero health problems.

The closer to the breed standard, the higher the price. SE seems to price all of their kittens on the higher side. They are more of a business looking to make money. They have no questionnaire to see what kind of people they are selling their kittens to and they don't seem to have any restrictions as to where they will send them. Pretty much, if you have the money you can have a kitten.

I have no regrets about getting my 1st Savannah from SE, but if I ever get another one I would rather go through a different breeder. Most of the breeders on this forum are definitely not breeding to simply make money. They do it because they love the breed and are happy to offer support before and AFTER the purchase. They also care a lot about their kittens and make sure each kitten goes to a good home that is a good fit for the kitten. To me, that says a lot about the breeder.

That's good to hear! I have had some unfortunate experiences in the past as every cat or dog I've owned has been a rescue from someone being unable to keep them. This will be my first time adopting a pet that I personally chose and still small under 6 months of age.

Funny thing is Holly didn't even initially respond after I emailed her saying I was ready to send her my deposit. I actually started looking elsewhere until I decided to follow up with her again 2 weeks later and spoke to her over the phone. But you are absolutely right, she is lacking in support with replying back to simple updates and questions. This entire process has definitely been a huge learning experience, and I definitely want to thank you for contributing to it! Cheers! =)

Gersh310

Savannah Child
Welcome Gersh, your baby is adorable and I'm sure will your life will be filled with a lot of mischief and love. I look forward to seeing lots of pictures as he grows once he's home with you.

Thank you! And yes I will definitely post lots of pics as he grows! =)