Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Household flea sprays

naranek

Savannah Child
Hi - so, I have a couple of enthusiastic house-destroyers by the names of Tigger and Macavity (who secretly wants to be vegetarian, apparently). They're 18mo old F3s. Tigger occasionally goes out on a leash - Macavity is more of a "you're going _away_ from the food bowl? What madness is this?" sort of cat.

I occasionally control for fleas with Advantage, just in case Tigger has picked up anything nasty, and we did have a flea problem a few years back with another (outdoor) cat. We have some suspicion that they're back, and so it seems sensible to spray the place again, just in case.

Trouble is, all I can find out there is household sprays that are basically permethrin with extras, and the toxicology sheet for permethrin says "safe for all mammals, except cats" . So, two points - first, if they are resistant to anything, it will be permethrin, second it seems a bit odd to spray for fleas in a cat-only household with an insecticide whose only distinguishing feature is being toxic to cats. It appears that the decay routes are photolysis (but we have quite a lot of dark spots and those are obviously where the fleas are going to congregate) and microbial degradation (which will be slow indoors).

It'll probably be fine, but if anyone has an alternative, I'd be grateful?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Can you just use revolution on them monthly

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

D

Dantes

This is the stuff that was recommended to me when nothing else worked. It does say Permethrin, but I recall something about the combination of chemicals being most effective. I removed the cats from the room I was treating for a day while doing this, and did one room/area a day. Also if you're using Advantage make sure it's the version that says "Plus" at the end. As I understand it, the regular version kills fleas, the Plus version also kills eggs.

Precor 2000 Plus

Last edited by a moderator:

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You can consider trying diatomaeteaus earth - shake it into the carpets and on the furniture. I know some people swear by it, I've had moderate success with it on insects (have not had a flea problem yet, touch wood...)

naranek

Savannah Child
Many thanks to you both! It seems I'm not missing anything obvious so I'll dose them up on advantage (it's well-tolerated so until it stops working .. ) and grab some permethrin+growth-inhibitor spray and see how we go ..

piplove2829

Savannah Adult
I have seen all the videos on you tube and stories in the news of cats having seizures and dying from monthly flea medicine. I think my savannahs have fleas. Is there anything sage to give them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

admin

Paige
Staff member
You can give them revolution...I have never had an issue with monthly revolution

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Flea medications are the bane of my existence. I am always looking for a more natural solution, but most of the natural ones are filled with essential oils, which are toxic to cats. I use advantage if they are exposed to anything worrying, otherwise I just don't use anything. I have DE (diatomaceous earth) but I heard that sprinkling it on them can be bad for their respiratory system.

admin

Paige
Staff member
You can take the DE, mix it with grapeseed oil and rub it on them