Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How do You comfort your kitty?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Nothing is sweeter than the bond between your pet and you. They seem to know when something is wrong and come to console you cheer you up and make you feel loved. but what about when your pet seems unhappy, mad, stressed, or scared. everyone has their own "parenting" style. What's yours? ::just a friendly discussion::

NikkiA

Site Supporter
It depends what is wrong.
If Jarvis was being chased/scared by D, I remove D, and reassure Jarvis. If Mickey stole Jarvis' toy, I replace Mickey's toy with one of the hundreds of other toys, and return Jarvis' toy to him (he only has 4 that he considers "his". The rest belong to Mickey or D).
If Mickey is angry the dishwasher was being unloaded, I pick him up and give him a treat (he hates the dishwasher for some reason).
If D is upset, there may be many reasons. It may be that no one wanted to play with him. It may be that Jarvis ate his food (again). It may be that we were gone too long. It may be that there was no walk. I try and determine why he is upset. If he is hungry, I offer food. If he is bored, I get out a new toy. If he is sad, I cuddle him. If he wants a walk, I oblige if possible, and if not we go play in the basement or garage.
If anyone has been scared, we verbally reassure them, but let them come to us on their terms.
If anyone had a paw stepped on (by me I'm the clumsy one), I immediately apologize.
If they are sick, we cuddle and drive to the vet.
For anything other than sick, as Rascal Dad said, food works wonders. Our boys love chicken :)

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Is Mayhem a boy? Because I think we all have heard the quote. "The fastes way to a mans heart is his stomach" lol

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Sounds like they act like brothers fighting bullying each other and then are big babies when it comes to momma

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Hm...Zeddie doesn't get upset often...she is pretty tough. But I guess if I notice she is out of sorts I give her treats. If my niece is driving her nuts then we will go upstairs and hang out together. Nothing works better than a bunch of treats though;)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I don't think there is a one size fits all answer for my lot, they are such different personalities and then it also depends on what is triggering the behavior. Sometimes they need attention, sometimes they need to be left alone to calm down.

Lesley

Site Supporter
I don't think there is a one size fits all answer for my lot, they are such different personalities and then it also depends on what is triggering the behavior. Sometimes they need attention, sometimes they need to be left alone to calm down.
I agree. It really is an individual thing. Ours forget their worries with wand play and food. But, sometimes they need to be left alone. Also, they both seem to relax when I sit next to them in whatever area they have chosen to decompress and just read a book. They often will climb into my lap and sleep. Soooo make sure your semi comfortable and have a good book!

If anything truly upsets them, I give them space. I've been nailed by a Himalayan before for babying him after an upset. Instinctually, you want to baby, but realistically, it may not be what they need.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2