Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How lick-y is your Savannah?

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki is constantly licking us and her brother. Is this a SV thing? Are the females more lick-y than the boys?

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Zeddie is obsessed with self-grooming. My other cat won't let her groom him, and she licks me on the lips when she wants me to wake up screaming.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think each kitty is different, regardless of the breed. Some love to groom, others don't seem to like it at all. I have a couple who love to groom me, a couple who love to kneed my tummy, and one who sucks my fingers :)

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Several of our kitties love to lick and groom us. This includes our older DSH girl, who has to groom my fiance's hair every time after he showers, holding his head in place with her paws for optimal "styling and hair spiking". Fortunately, he patiently obliges and seems to enjoy it. Our F3C girl likes to lick our lips...french style, especially if I have just applied lip balm ;) I hope I am not breaking some law allowing her to do that. One of our former stud boys also loved licking our hair...not so bad for Cory with his very short hair, but mine is quite long, and things could get really messy there when he was done, lol.

I occasionally see grooming between our cats, but not as often as they groom us. In our home, it seems the girls are more the lickers and groomers than the boys.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I think each kitty is different, regardless of the breed. Some love to groom, others don't seem to like it at all. I have a couple who love to groom me, a couple who love to kneed my tummy, and one who sucks my fingers :)
Oh my. You have described Rafiki in a nutshell. She does all three on a daily basis.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think it is an individual thing, some are lickier than others... but I do think they are more likely to groom us as well as other cats...maybe they don't see a distinction between us and other cats?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think it is an individual thing, some are lickier than others... but I do think they are more likely to groom us as well as other cats...maybe they don't see a distinction between us and other cats?
I think they groom those whom they are most bonded to.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
D grooms both of us. Mickey kneads. Jarvis cuddles and chews on fingers, simultaneously.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Rafiki is constantly licking us and her brother. Is this a SV thing? Are the females more lick-y than the boys?

LOL.. Elsa is totally obsessed with Grooming... She even grooms Jake...

Elsa-4.JPG
Elsa-04.JPG
Elsa-05.JPG Elsa-06.JPG Elsa-09.JPG Elsa-10.JPG

No shortage of tongue power here... Jake should be the cleanest dog around... She also likes to clean my feet and hands...

D

Dantes

My feral Sammy would clean himself to the point where he was wet to touch. He taught Dante how to clean himself until he was wet to touch. Dante would clean Desi and Duma until they were wet to touch.

Desi and Duma are the dirtiest boys ever lol.

Okay, that's not really true, Duma is clean and they do clean each other but Duma doesn't go overboard, doesn't suck the insides of Desi's ears like Dante, and Desi is obsessed with kissing me on the lips (and in the lips-ick!).