Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How Long For Fuzzies?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
His coat looks pretty clear to me, but to answer your question most kittens will shed their fuzzies by 3-4 months although I have had some stay fuzzy for five months or so.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Agreed, his fuzzies look to be pretty much gone. You will see some better definition in his spots through the course of a year and as his coat gets more populated with hair. Oddly, where our boy was shaved from his hip surgery, his base color is more pronounced, spots are more defined and the very modest amount of ticking he had is gone. Not sure what that's about and I certainly wouldn't advise shaving your kitten, just 7 months have gone by and I can see an absolute difference in that portion of his back and leg.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Interesting, John!

I'd say the majority of the fuzzies should be gone, but as John says you might see more clearing by the time he's a year old.

It's important to note that we don't really want ALL the "ticking" to leave, if you look at an F1, the background to the black spots is a ticked beige to warm yellow but that part is actually ticked. I think it is what gives that slightly coarse texture to the coat that we get from the Serval and WANT. So we want the black spots to clear and be prominent but we don't necessarily want complete clearing of the background to a smooth texture...

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
That's interesting, Brigitte. I always thought the clearer the better on the background color. If it was clear in color then, would it be also smooth to the touch?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think the clearer the coat, the smoother it feels, at least in the cats I have here that seems to the case. And the F1s I have had, had nice texture and the background is very ticked... Nina for example. The ones I've had with the smoothest coats were glittered (which the hollowing out of the hair shaft with that gene definitely gives a different texture plus seems to make the coat appear very clear) or very short like the Oriental coat...

feedtheflame

Savannah Super Cat
hmmm ya kratos' fur is definitly coarse then...the ends tend to poke out too, with lots of ticking. I guess its cus he's dark it seems more noticeable to me

John Popp

Site Supporter
I'll need to use some of my mad photographic skills to see if I can capture Chongo's fur where he was shaved. Also strange was that without the fur on his leg, he still had spots! Then also of note is the ticked fur is a lot coarser, as Brigitte mentioned, probably takes longer to regenerate and I'm sure doesn't get repopulated as often.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I had three of my cats shaved on the same afternoon at the vets (fur sampling for a testing procedure), all three are Savannahs (F1, F2 and F5) and none regrew their hair the same! It's been interesting to watch. I think the F2 is the one whose fur has regrown the slowest...the F5 the fastest and the F1's has grown back but not as thick at first but almost regrown now. I think it was about 2 months ago.

Definitely they can be spotted to the skin, I remember years ago when I had an F3 girl spayed and she came home with that shaved belly with these really black spots showing! Saffy-air.jpg And when we shaved the patches on the three this year, the spots were showing... I should've taken pics that day, doh!