Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much "kitten" is left in a 6 month old?

1ststatestereo

Savannah Super Cat
Hello all,

A 6 month old has been offered to me. My question is, how much "kitten" is left in a 6 month old F3?

Also, how do I know for sure that a cat is a F3 not F4, F5...?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think a LOT of kitten, but then Savannahs don't ever really grow up. They tend to stay very active and playful.

There is no DNA test for the amount of Serval heritage... and due to the progress made by some Savannah programs truly some F5s look more Serval than some F3s. But really, if you don't find the kitten looks appropriate for the given earlier generation, that might be a red flag on the quality of the program... but then looks aren't everything and the personality might more than make up for that :)

You could ask to see the registration papers of the parents to help you feel more comfortable I guess...

D

Dantes

I don't know about the F-gen question (probably only by papers?) but there is at least 2 years or more of kitten left in a 6-month old. At least. Bare minimum. Probably much more, more than you expect (or maybe want hehehe)

Source: having three cats in the 3.5 yr and under category, and thought by year 2 they'd be adults, but heck no, not even close lol

Trish Allearz

Um, my boo, Ariel, just went home today and she's... 16 weeks now? A lot of kitten is left in a slightly older kitten-- SVs are the epitome of kittenhood. As far as judging your kitten-- the question isn't what we think-- it's what YOU think :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Agreed with Trish... this will be YOUR kitten and if you have fallen in love with the kitten in the pics it doesn't matter what critique we might give!

Think about what Serval traits you want to see in your Savannah... some people are more fixated on coat color and how bold the spotting is... while others (like me) want to see an elegant face structure, large upright ears, and small boomerang-shaped eyes with long legs and a lean body.

1ststatestereo

Savannah Super Cat
Agreed with Trish... this will be YOUR kitten and if you have fallen in love with the kitten in the pics it doesn't matter what critique we might give!

Think about what Serval traits you want to see in your Savannah... some people are more fixated on coat color and how bold the spotting is... while others (like me) want to see an elegant face structure, large upright ears, and small boomerang-shaped eyes with long legs and a lean body.

How is this one's structure?

1ststatestereo

Savannah Super Cat
Um, my boo, Ariel, just went home today and she's... 16 weeks now? A lot of kitten is left in a slightly older kitten-- SVs are the epitome of kittenhood. As far as judging your kitten-- the question isn't what we think-- it's what YOU think :)

Does this look like an F3?

The mom is an F2 and dad is F7 SBT. Does that make an F3?