Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

how much to feed ?

J

Jasmcauley

My two 4 month old f5sbt males are having half a pouch morning and night and dry food all day, I'm noticing they love wet food time, they dart upstairs to their bowls when I shout food

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I tend to feed mine as much as they want... I give them a meal but if they eat it fast and are looking for more, then I top up the dishes. When around during the day, they get snacks too when they ask. None of mine have a weight problem (besides the British Shorthair who does not get snacks on demand but cleans up everyone's dishes) so if they want more food I give it... and especially when kittens!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I do what Brigitte does. My cats are fed as much as they want, especially the younger ones. I've had male kittens the same age as yours who seemed to be bottomless pits when it comes to food. It's a time for growth, and they need the extra food (so they tell me, lol). Do you feed raw meat at all? I have found that raw beef chunks really helps fill up those hungry boys...the extra time it takes to gnaw the beef helps satisfy their hunger. I buy either pre-packaged stew beef chunks or a roast and cut into chunks for the cats.

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
You can't over feed a kitten. Although I'm not sure at what point they become adults and not kittens.

ambiente18

Site Supporter
I'm afraid to overfeed my cats also, but give them 4 times a day and how many they want. For the example - my adult cat male - Ambiente (F5) all day ( or night) spins the wheel, he is thin and eats a lot of food. I always give him when he wants...(I speak about row diet and the dry food - all day) I can't refuse loved cats, but I try to give at the same time:)

Atari's Mommy

Savannah Adult
im feeding my F3 male at eight months old (is that still considered a kitten?), twice a day...either wet food or sometimes cooked fish or chicken for a treat and he has dry food available all the time. He will not eat raw. Im worried too of over feeding, any feedback?

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
im feeding my F3 male at eight months old (is that still considered a kitten?), twice a day...either wet food or sometimes cooked fish or chicken for a treat and he has dry food available all the time. He will not eat raw. Im worried too of over feeding, any feedback?

Does your boy look overweight? (I'm going to assume he is neutered.) If he is active and healthy, and your vet is fine with his weight, I would not worry about the amount of food he eats right now. Twice a day is not too much along with dry food free fed, depending on the wet amount fed at each time....what amount constitutes the wet he is eating now?

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
This thread has got me thinking. I am curious in that i have read a lot of posts about lean or very lean SV's, but not about overweight savannahs? Does anybody seem to have SV's that have a reserve for winter?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
There definitely ARE some overweight Savannahs, over the years on the yahoogroup lists etc you see pics of Savannahs that are much heavier in build than we'd want. Those are usually the ones that the owner is bragging is 35lbs or something...​
Additionally, if the Savannah inherits the body type of some of the outcrosses used then it will have a thicker heavier set body...and possibly a tendency to lard.​
But no pics of chubby Savannahs from my home thankfully!​