Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How to find Blue a better home.

tusalena

Savannah Super Cat
Not something I wish to do but I feel I should do for his well being. He needs a home of people not one with other cats. I feel bad that he sleeps alone and still slinks around the house looking for other cats and the weird thing is no one attacks him, he attacks the other cats, yet he's still skittish. He reminds me of Kingston, the stray who found us. Kingston had to stock and pounce on everyone making the whole household nervous and then the spraying started. He loved his people and was almost protective of us trying to keep the others away from his peeps.

I see Blue going down that road, but Blue doesn't have the confidence ... Yet, to be top kitty. When we go for walks he just purrs the whole time and as soon as we come home he starts growling and slinking around the house. It's not fair to him, nor is it fair to the other cats, especially the old dolls, they don't need the stress and now with a tiny 3 legged kitten, I'm afraid Blue will harm him, not out if malice, probably out of fear.

So I need advice on how to find him a good home, he was raised in a stressful household from the so called breeder ( I still feel it was a rescue), the day we went to pick him up he was hiding behind the couch cause the kids were all hyper and the yappy dogs were barking and then the dad says to one of the kids...crawl under there and drag him out. I almost wept, and it took 6 weeks to get him healthy and put on some muscle cause he was under nourished due to an intestinal parasite. Anyway he deserves someone who will love him and give him the attention he deserves.

My other half does not like to "get rid of" a cat, but To me it's finding a cat a better home, it's just this environment, although loving and nurturing, is not right for him. So after all that how to I find a good home for him? I'd like to recoup my vet expenses, as I had to have him fixed, all his shots and numerous visits and med's to clear up his insides, but most important is to find a good home.

So I hope you guys don't hate me for finding Blue a better home, I feel bad enough as it is but staying here is not a happy place for him, and thanks for all the previous advice, it was helpful and enlightening.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
It is incredibly hard to admit that your home might not be the right one. You are doing the right thing.
Have you considered contacting SV rescue? They do a really good job of evaluating potential homes to find the right place for each kitty.

tusalena

Savannah Super Cat
It is incredibly hard to admit that your home might not be the right one. You are doing the right thing.
Have you considered contacting SV rescue? They do a really good job of evaluating potential homes to find the right place for each kitty.

Thank you for making me feel less guilty:))

Is there a SV Rescue in Ontario Canada? I presume I can google SV Rescue for info? And that sounds like a great place to start. I will check into it.

Cheers

tusalena

Savannah Super Cat
What does your contract say?

I don't think it matters to the person I purchased Blue from. When we first brought him home, he wouldn't eat and he had bad diarrhea, so I emailed her for 4 days trying to get information. It was only after I let her know that the intestinal parasite he had could be transferred to humans that she actually responded to my email, with a curt thanks and she would have her other kittens checked. That was after having him for 2 weeks and into the vet 2ce to find out what the problem was. So the last person I want to contact is her, still makes me mad to think about her total lack of concern. Sorry for that rant:))

I'll contact the members you suggested and see what we can do for my Buddy Blue and thanks

tusalena

Savannah Super Cat
Savannah Rescue does have contacts in Canada - you can start here: http://svrescue.com/home/surrender-a-savannah-cat/ provide the info needed, and someone will contact you.

There is also a Yahoo group for adult Savannahs available as long as you are rehoming them for $500 or less. There are almost 4000 members on that list, most looking for a Savannah to love. You can join at:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/savannahcatsavailable/info

Thanks I'll check into this in the morning and $500 would be great, cover the vet bills:)) as it cost over $300 just to have him fixed..expensive here in Ontario.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, as suggested if you wish to get money for Blue then you will need to look for groups like SavannahCatsAvailable, as we in Rescue cannot purchase cats. Do read the info for that yahoogroup and make sure your post includes all the information needed so it can be approved. Many people have found great homes for their cats via that route.

And if you need Rescue's help just email us at info@svrescue.com . One of our core team members is in Canada and will likely take on Blue's case. As mentioned though, we will need to confirm with the breeder that it is okay to place via Rescue as some contracts do require a cat to go back to the breeder. You really should let her know, even if you don't think she cares.

tusalena

Savannah Super Cat
T
Yes, as suggested if you wish to get money for Blue then you will need to look for groups like SavannahCatsAvailable, as we in Rescue cannot purchase cats. Do read the info for that yahoogroup and make sure your post includes all the information needed so it can be approved. Many people have found great homes for their cats via that route.

And if you need Rescue's help just email us at info@svrescue.com . One of our core team members is in Canada and will likely take on Blue's case. As mentioned though, we will need to confirm with the breeder that it is okay to place via Rescue as some contracts do require a cat to go back to the breeder. You really should let her know, even if you don't think she cares.

Thanks for the info. I've joined the yahoo group, but most of the Savannah's are US based, hope some Canadians are watching. As for contacting the breeder, I cringe at the thought of sending him back to that stressful environment, with the abusive kids, the yappy dogs and the breeders total ignorance on Blues health. Plus giving her the opportunity to turn around and resell Blue to make more money, not something I would want to do.

I'll let you know how it goes. He's doing really well with the leash walks he just loves it:)) I'll miss my walk and flop buddy:(