Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How to transition to raw?

AundreaLea

Site Supporter
Ok, I'm taking the plunge and have made my first batch of raw for my cats. I am using Amish chicken thighs as the base following published recipes for making sure all the nutrients are there. It only took about 20 minutes to create 10 pounds of it. I can get the chicken at $1.49 at the Eastern Market, downtown Detroit. Doing the math, it’s going to be cheaper for me to feed raw.
Wolfie loves it. Josie likes it. Bonaparte eats a little. Jackson and Ulysses want nothing to do with it. How do I get them to accept it? Bonaparte will eat can food. Jackson and Ulysses only pick at can food. All the food tends to be chicken flavored.
I also would like to add lysine to the mix, how much should I add per 5 pounds?
Also how do I determine how much I should feed each cat? Currently I feed a cup of dry per cat of Blue Buffalo Wilderness and was giving two 5.5 cans of wet. The dry sits out and the wet (now raw) is given when I get home from work. Right now Wolfie will gobble down almost all the raw I put down which is about 13-15 ounces. The dry is still there and it is gone by morning. Wolfie is a 9 month old F5 weighting about 14 pounds. Josie, 10 months F5 around 8.5 pounds gets her fill, too maybe around 3-4 ounces. Bonaparte eats maybe an ounce or two (F7, 12 poundish). The other two, nada. They are F7 and weigh around 10-12 pounds. These three are all over 2 years.
Any other tips?
Thanks!
Aundrea
Motown Cats

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
This link includes all the info you need to make the transition: http://www.rawfedcats.org/practicalguide.htm

Hooray for you for making the commitment to feed your cats a healthy diet! It could take a long time for a resistant cat to make the change and there's always the possibility that a cat will never make the transition but if you are consistent with the method suggested in the link, I'm sure you'll succeed.

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
As the link Deborah put above.. a slow transition maybe needed. Even if the love it give it a few days of mixing with the current food, transitioning to more each day to avoid possible belly/poopie issues. o_O

Different kitties will react differently, our guy Leto once introduced would pick around his kibble only taking the raw and would leave kibble behind. I think he tried sucking the raw off a few pieces! LOL Stilgar on the other hand took longer and would eat a little but favored the kibble. After 2 days he swapped to only taking the raw and ignoring the kibble.

For your picky ones just take it slowly mixing in more and more. It's so good for them and as a reward for your litter cleaning becomes a BREEZE! Seriously... I have to dig around to make sure I find it, I cannot tell if business has been done by smell. :rolleyes:

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
And I forgot to add that a cat who is transitioned/newly transitioned to raw may eat a whole lot more during the first few weeks on raw and then appetite will normalize.

As far as lysine amount -- unless there is a health issue where supplementation is recommended by a vet, I would not add it at all.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Pam has great advise, are you grinding it? Some might like ground to start others might like chunks of meat, some might prefer beef or turkey. At for how much to feed? Average 2-3% body weight for adults, 4-6% body weight for kittens under year. Then adjust according to what you see for body condition.

admin

Paige
Staff member
But...they also may not eat the chicken...mine will not touch it - they eat rabbit and Ixas/Cinny have just started eating grass fed beef I buy at the store...but mine also get canned and whole prey...they are well-rounded :)

I just purchased four books on feeding cats raw food. I want to start feeding mine raw food as soon as I get settled in Arizona. I sign the papers on my house Friday morning, and then I start my drive to Arizona! I'll get to visit with my son on the way, so as much as I'm dreading the drive long from Florida to Arizona, there is a high point to look forward to. My family wanted me to fly, but I did not want to put my babies on an airplane. Only one could ride in the cabin with me and the other would have been in cargo. So, we'll drive instead. I'm so glad you started this link. I hope you keep it up, or add it to the old thread on raw food that you have. I'm going to need all the help I can get in understanding what portions of what my babies need to stay healthy.

AundreaLea

Site Supporter
Pam has great advise, are you grinding it? Some might like ground to start others might like chunks of meat, some might prefer beef or turkey. At for how much to feed? Average 2-3% body weight for adults, 4-6% body weight for kittens under year. Then adjust according to what you see for body condition.
Yes, we are grinding the chicken thighs.

AundreaLea

Site Supporter
But...they also may not eat the chicken...mine will not touch it - they eat rabbit and Ixas/Cinny have just started eating grass fed beef I buy at the store...but mine also get canned and whole prey...they are well-rounded :)

We are using chicken because it is affordable ($1.49 for Amish chicken thighs). Also their kibble is chicken and there were being fed chicken can food. And freeze dried chicken is their favorite treat. I just have to slowly pull the kibble, but I think I want to make a couple of batches first to get comfortable doing it.

admin

Paige
Staff member
We are using chicken because it is affordable ($1.49 for Amish chicken thighs). Also their kibble is chicken and there were being fed chicken can food. And freeze dried chicken is their favorite treat. I just have to slowly pull the kibble, but I think I want to make a couple of batches first to get comfortable doing it.
Mine won't eat chicken - I wish they would!