Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How you deal with your cat when you have to travel?

Kan

Savannah Adult
I sadly have to travel a bit often for business. And after I got Percy, the first long business trip is coming now. Here’s the options—-

I could leave Percy to a cat hotel, however I can not stop worrying about him when I’m planning that.

I haven’t found a good cat sitter yet, so it might not be a good option to leave him at home alone.

I’m thinking to take Percy together with me since I have to be gone for one week. Will that be a good idea?

When you have to travel how you deal with your cat?

To board in a cat hotel or to take together with you, which one is better for a Savannah Cat?

Have anyone also travel with their Savannah Cat? Any suggestions?

Experiences and Sharing, even judgements are desperately needed!

Thank you in advanced!

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Take your kitty with you! Now is a great time to start if you travel a lot, he will be used to it as he matures. Ours have done fine on long trips in the car, and at hotels. I'd hesitate to let him out of a carrier if you will be alone in the car, just get a crate big enough for him to move around. Maybe try taking him for a short ride and see how he does?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Take him for some sort trips to start off with... How long will he be in the car when you travel? Will be be alone much in a hotel? Cats are much happier at home, but you need to find a good pet sitter... Maybe look on Petsit.com for a sitter... Or ask your vet if they know anyone? Or take him with you this time and plan for next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki is not a good traveler. When she was a kitten, I was out of town on business >25% of the time and did not really get her acclimated to the car. We hire a pet sitter that stays in the house when we are gone.

Abby2932

Site Supporter
If you are driving for your travel, I think he would enjoy being brought along. If you're flying, it will get expensive to bring him along. Additionally, I think he may eventually outgrow being able to ride in cabin so you'd have to fly him cargo, which is not something I would do unless I had to.

In that case, I would make it a point to find a good pet sitter to visit your home to feed him, play with him & empty his litterbox at least twice a day. Most cats prefer staying in their own space instead of being at a cat hotel or boarding facility.

I also have to travel several times a year for business. I have not had to go out of town since I brought Odrick home but i will be going on a weekend trip later this month. My pet sitter will come twice a day since Odrick is still a kitten. Once he's more mature (probably around 18months) I'll go back to once a day visits.

Decnav

Savannah Teenager
I only have a tiny bit of experience with this breed of kitty, my Jaxx is only 8 months old. He goes on drives with me alot. For long drives he needs his carrier to lay and chill in after about 45 min of sitting next to me while I drive. He has traveled with me alot, loves the pet store. Get a good harness, Im using a small dog harness, and it fits well. He gets excited when he sees the harness and carrier, hops in and waits.

When he first started going out he would just sit in one spot in the park and not do much, after 4 or 5 trips doing the same thing, he started chasing bugs and now just loves being out and about.

Kan

Savannah Adult
Take your kitty with you! Now is a great time to start if you travel a lot, he will be used to it as he matures. Ours have done fine on long trips in the car, and at hotels. I'd hesitate to let him out of a carrier if you will be alone in the car, just get a crate big enough for him to move around. Maybe try taking him for a short ride and see how he does?
I’m going to take him to a park which is 2 hours away this Saturday to see how he acts in the carrier.

Sadly have to flight are 5 hours for this time, I really want to carry him, but I’m afraid he wouldn’t be well.

Kan

Savannah Adult
I only have a tiny bit of experience with this breed of kitty, my Jaxx is only 8 months old. He goes on drives with me alot. For long drives he needs his carrier to lay and chill in after about 45 min of sitting next to me while I drive. He has traveled with me alot, loves the pet store. Get a good harness, Im using a small dog harness, and it fits well. He gets excited when he sees the harness and carrier, hops in and waits.

When he first started going out he would just sit in one spot in the park and not do much, after 4 or 5 trips doing the same thing, he started chasing bugs and now just loves being out and about.
Thanks for your sharing. Will you take him out very often?

I’m also trying to train him to walk on leash, maybe once a week. Now I have took him out for 4 times, however he loves the go-out part but he doesn’t like the walk part. LoL

Decnav

Savannah Teenager
Thanks for your sharing. Will you take him out very often?

I’m also trying to train him to walk on leash, maybe once a week. Now I have took him out for 4 times, however he loves the go-out part but he doesn’t like the walk part. LoL

We go out to the park once a week, weather permitting. I will take him with me on short trips to the store. My "rule" is he only leaves the house in the carrier while wearing the harness, and no walks in the neighborhood. I dont want him thinking its ok to walk out the door. Some days he wants to wander about, other days he wants to sit in the grass. I just go with mood he is in.

Again, not a long time, but so far so good.

Even if you do not get the desired reaction at first, keep at it, persistence pays off

Kan

Savannah Adult
If you are driving for your travel, I think he would enjoy being brought along. If you're flying, it will get expensive to bring him along. Additionally, I think he may eventually outgrow being able to ride in cabin so you'd have to fly him cargo, which is not something I would do unless I had to.

In that case, I would make it a point to find a good pet sitter to visit your home to feed him, play with him & empty his litterbox at least twice a day. Most cats prefer staying in their own space instead of being at a cat hotel or boarding facility.

I also have to travel several times a year for business. I have not had to go out of town since I brought Odrick home but i will be going on a weekend trip later this month. My pet sitter will come twice a day since Odrick is still a kitten. Once he's more mature (probably around 18months) I'll go back to once a day visits.
I think you are right, it’s not a good idea to bring him to fly around all the time. When I get back from this trip, I need to start to find a nice pet sitter.

Thank you for your advise.