Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

I just wanna say... A random comments thread

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Poor thing, sometimes kitties get stuck and then they panic and it can turn into a mess. I'm glad you were able to extricate her without too much drama.

Sean

Site Supporter
I had a hard time getting enough skin to scruff he to lift her out. The next option was to move the TV stand away from the wall.
Then I just held her for about 20 minutes and nibbled on her ear each time she started to growl.

In other news Pan is back home and just as frisky as usual. He does have a few spots where they shaved to get at skin. I think
they said he was 7.8 Lb. He is a growing boy that is for sure.

As for Bella I think I might talk to my vet and see what we can add a pill to help clam things down a little bit. That and I am going to
have to put more work into her and Athena.

Vito

Site Supporter
Glad to hear that Pan is recovering well from his little operation, always think the boys bounce back quicker than the girls. Sorry to hear your experiencing some friction between Bella and Athena, I know what your having to deal with, experienced the same with Vito and Franco, had to put Franco on a short term course of Gabapentin which helped enormously (was a last resort) full story can be found on the thread MEET FRANCO.
I hope you have a good vet who can suggest a way forward.

Sean

Site Supporter
My vet is only okay. I really miss my vet that retired. He seemed to be more in tune with things. More like Dr Pol.
Bella is not only going after Athena. She is also spitting and hissing with anyone that has fur and gets near.

How much Gabapentin were you giving per dose? I might talk to my vet about it.

Vito

Site Supporter
My vet is only okay. I really miss my vet that retired. He seemed to be more in tune with things. More like Dr Pol.
Bella is not only going after Athena. She is also spitting and hissing with anyone that has fur and gets near.

How much Gabapentin were you giving per dose? I might talk to my vet about it.
We started Franco on 50mg per day as advised by the vet, this was for one week, it made no difference whatsoever, 2nd week we were up to 100mg and surprisingly no difference either so we upped the dose to 150mg which seemed to calm him enough to allow Vito to approach him and visa versa without the growling, there were still a few hairy moments along the way and using meds really was a last resort but it got so bad that it was either try this route or Franco would have had to be rehomed. He was on the meds for just on 3 months during this time we were constantly working with him, scent transferal, lots of play and giving treats together. It was a long road with Franco as he was an ex stud cat raging with hormones so during this time he was also neutered. gabapentin dosage is worked out by weight, I must add that when Franco was on the gabas at no time was he under any heavy sedation, it just calmed him down, he was still active and aware of his surroundings.
I wish you luck Sean in finding a solution that will work for you and hopefully harmony will be restored.

Sean

Site Supporter
I have started separation at night the night before last. Today so far no big explosions.
Athena cam into the bathroom and Bella was up looking out the open window through the
screen and all was clam. It got to the point all 4 cats came in. Xander was up with her looking
out the window. It's there favorite perch when I am taking a shower and Pan got on the counter.
Then all or a sudden Athena comes in and takes up a place near the sink I turned on the water
at a trickle and let her play with it. In the mean time I was petting Bella and telling her that she
was being a very good cat. I think she is stying to keep her status as the matriarch.

I know that this is going to take more work. One good thing is Athena does not like the treats
that Bella likes and so I can give them to Bella and don't have to worry about both trying to
grab a snack. I still have to find something that Athena really likes other than the fish flakes.
Then fish flakes are really good but to easy to crumble and blow away. Everyone likes them.
So I end up with a clowder of cats.

Names for a group of more than two cats : a clowder, a clutter, a glaring, or a pounce.
I like a pounce then all you need is a a mischief of mice.

BTW for everyone in the US, Happy Thanksgiving day.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm not sure if I have already recommended this, but if not, you might want to look into getting Cat vs. Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett. You can get it on Amazon if nowhere else.