Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

I think Kovu wants to eat the ferret..

Brooke

Savannah Super Cat
So my boyfriend and I have a ferret... Actually we've had her long before Kovu came around :) She is about four years old. Before we got Kovu, I had read online of many people's successful experiences with having a ferret and a cat getting along, however, this is not the case in my house.. When Kovu was younger we thought he was just playing with her, but it has escalated beyond that point now. It's like he goes into predator mode, when he sees her he hunches down and watches her obsessively, waiting to pounce. He has attacked her before, jumped on her and started biting her (she was not hurt though and no blood was spilled), and since that incident we don't let Kovu in the room when Luxa (the ferret) is out. I would really like them to be able to get along, but it just doesn't seem possible. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any other SV owners with ferrets on here?

D

DocMac

I've owned a ferret and DSHs at the same time. The cats were afraid of the ferret! It played with all but one cat, who was despised by the ferret and injured by the ferret riding the cat through the house, clenching the cat's neck. Don't know about Savannahs and ferrets, but I can imagine a predator-prey relationship in some form.

So my boyfriend and I have a ferret... Actually we've had her long before Kovu came around :) She is about four years old. Before we got Kovu, I had read online of many people's successful experiences with having a ferret and a cat getting along, however, this is not the case in my house.. When Kovu was younger we thought he was just playing with her, but it has escalated beyond that point now. It's like he goes into predator mode, when he sees her he hunches down and watches her obsessively, waiting to pounce. He has attacked her before, jumped on her and started biting her (she was not hurt though and no blood was spilled), and since that incident we don't let Kovu in the room when Luxa (the ferret) is out. I would really like them to be able to get along, but it just doesn't seem possible. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any other SV owners with ferrets on here?
I have placed two kittens with someone who has a ferret. It is an uneasy peace between them all. The ferret has a hiding box where the cats cannot get to him. I think in my house a ferret would be considered prey. How confident is your ferret? Does he/she stand up to Kovu?

C

Coolcat

I have to find a good safe spot for the rat......i dont think he'd have a chance if he meet's up with the SV.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
If Kovu is showing aggressive behavior toward her I would continue doing what you are doing and never leave them alone unsupervised. It is doubtful they will ever come to a peaceful coexistence if they haven't by this time.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that if you have noticed that Kovu is regarding your ferret as prey.... then you are safest just keeping them apart if not supervised. I tend to advise any kitten buyer that already owns any kind of rodent type animal or bird that it may not survive with a Savannah. There are some situations where all is fine, but I think the movements of them just make them want to pounce....

Brooke

Savannah Super Cat
I have placed two kittens with someone who has a ferret. It is an uneasy peace between them all. The ferret has a hiding box where the cats cannot get to him. I think in my house a ferret would be considered prey. How confident is your ferret? Does he/she stand up to Kovu?
She does, but usually she runs and hides under the couch where he can't get to her.

Brooke

Savannah Super Cat
I was afraid of that.. Oh well. I was hopeful that they could get along when we first got Kovu. It'd be nice if they could play safely together, but I guess I just have to accept that it wont happen..

There are quite a few ferrret/Savannah owners and they do seem to get along. Unlike the rodents, most cats do not see ferrets as prey. Maybe it's that musky smell or maybe it's because ferrets tend to run AT the cat, bouncing around like they are on crack?

Anyways, your gut instinct needs to be followed in this situation. It's just not worth risking an accident.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There are quite a few ferrret/Savannah owners and they do seem to get along. Unlike the rodents, most cats do not see ferrets as prey. Maybe it's that musky smell or maybe it's because ferrets tend to run AT the cat, bouncing around like they are on crack?

Anyways, your gut instinct needs to be followed in this situation. It's just not worth risking an accident.
Probably because ferrets are meat eaters, so they don't smell or taste like your typical prey.