Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to buy a savannah cat because

Darlene

Savannah Adult
Hi--some eighteen years ago, sight unseen, I agreed to take on a stray adolescent cat roaming a co-workers city neighborhood.

I had to put him down last year because he had cancer.

He became my best friend from the start. I did spend vast amounts of time with him, playing with him and taking him places. He was very responsive to me and to others.

The reason I am interested in a (male) Savannah cat is that my cat looked like one. He was very big (over twenty pounds) but long-legged and rangy, short-haired, striped, with a slender neck and smallish exotic-shaped head, long ears and tear drop markings. He quickly learned to walk on a leash, and obeyed commands--when you gave a little tug on his harness, he gave his characteristic snort and changed directions. we enjoyed many long, long walks

What do people think? I have to money to buy one. I was thinking of an F4 or F5, because that is what my cat looked like. I am not doing anything right away.

I have lately adopted an adult rescue cat. She is a nice, nice cat and helps me with my grief but I miss my active intelligent male cat. Is it okay that I have my (new) female cat already? I thought a kitten would like to have another cat in the house and she is nice to all animals (and dogs) and somewhat fearless in that she snuggles everything that moves including the vacuum cleaner although I read that it is best to keep him separated at first and play with him exclusively.

Also--it seems that you have to agree to buy the kitten sight unseen. I know I did that with my late cat, and it worked out well, but don't people want to meet their kitten first?

I have a probably 1400 square foot house (not including basement and attic) and lots of big windows and four bedrooms. I work during the day. Thanks for any advice, sorry long letter.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Welcome Darlene. Condolences on the loss of your walking buddy.

The one major difference between a SV and other domestic cats is the energy level. Your female cat may or my not appreciate that although, in my personal experience, I've found that adult cats have a hard time resisting the charms of a kitten.

You don't have to buy a kitten unseen. You'll need to find a breeder either close enough to you so you can go see the kitten, or be willing to travel to see it. Some breeders run closed catteries and don't allow those who are just curious about SVs to visit but it's likely they would welcome someone who is a confirmed buyer. And any good breeder will send you lots of pictures of the baby as he grows so you can watch the progress.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Welcome Darlene! I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your baby...no matter how long they are with us it is never long enough.

I agree with what WW says...my DSH is a lazy butt, and he still enjoys Zeddie's energy (sometimes) lol

In my area, breeders didn't allow visitors until the kittens had their second set of shots, which was at about 8 weeks. By this time a lot of the kittens are sold already, so if you find one that catches your eye, talk to the breeder. They are usually happy to send you more pictures and videos and describe the personality so you have an idea of whether or not it will fit in your home.
For me, the second I saw Zeddie's picture I knew she was my cat. I was planning on visiting the cattery before she came home, but ran out of time. It didn't matter though, she was a well socialized girl and I couldn't be happier with her (as I hear things falling off the counters downstairs -_-)

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome Darlene! I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your baby...no matter how long they are with us it is never long enough.

I agree with what WW says...my DSH is a lazy butt, and he still enjoys Zeddie's energy (sometimes) lol

In my area, breeders didn't allow visitors until the kittens had their second set of shots, which was at about 8 weeks. By this time a lot of the kittens are sold already, so if you find one that catches your eye, talk to the breeder. They are usually happy to send you more pictures and videos and describe the personality so you have an idea of whether or not it will fit in your home.
For me, the second I saw Zeddie's picture I knew she was my cat. I was planning on visiting the cattery before she came home, but ran out of time. It didn't matter though, she was a well socialized girl and I couldn't be happier with her (as I hear things falling off the counters downstairs -_-)
Yes that is true but second set is usually done around 12 weeks, first shot done at 8 weeks. Another reason too, my one female is a social butterfly, the other does no like strangers in her room
With her babies, she doesn't even like my husband around. So bringing a total stranger in is very upsetting, she can get aggressive with those mommy hormones, so it's not only a health reason but also a safety reason.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Yes that is true but second set is usually done around 12 weeks, first shot done at 8 weeks. Another reason too, my one female is a social butterfly, the other does no like strangers in her room
With her babies, she doesn't even like my husband around. So bringing a total stranger in is very upsetting, she can get aggressive with those mommy hormones, so it's not only a health reason but also a safety reason.

Thanks for clarifying! I might have misunderstood Christine. She did say I could visit after 8 weeks, but it might have been the first set that they needed.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
My breeder allows visits for serious buyers only - as they have said, they are not a petting zoo! I also think that he uses this time to assess whether or not he will even sell you one of his kittens. He takes a lot of precautions. When you enter the house, you need to use sanitation wipes. He only has a few of the big cats out and is extremely cautious about bringing out the babies. I don't remember at what age he allows someone to touch them. I visited my ktten twice before we brought her home. I saw her at 4 weeks but she was basically off limits - look but don't touch as she was just too young. She was 8 weeks old for the 2nd visit and we were allowed to play with her and her brother for a good hour - after sanitizing the living daylights out of us.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Darlene; welcome to the forum!

My condolences on the loss of your boy :( I would love to see a pic of him....he sounds like he was a very beautiful, very intelligent and unique special friend.

Where are you located? You want to be sure Savannahs are legal where you live before you fall in love with a kitten pic....check this site to be sure: www.hybridlaw.com

Darlene

Savannah Adult
The female cat I recently adopted is very active and runs around like crazy, but she is normal sized. She won't get hurt in play, will she? One thing--she is not very aggressive, except with string and yarn. She is very athletic and can jump. She doesn't like to walk on a leash. My male cat was noticeable more intelligent than my new cat, but I still love her because she is sweet. He was crazy active for the first ten years or so--he calmed down later in life. We had to ramble outside everyday to burn off energy or I got no sleep at night. Does the Savannah cat burn off energy if you take it for walks?

Darlene

Savannah Adult
Hi Darlene; welcome to the forum!

My condolences on the loss of your boy :( I would love to see a pic of him....he sounds like he was a very beautiful, very intelligent and unique special friend.

Where are you located? You want to be sure Savannahs are legal where you live before you fall in love with a kitten pic....check this site to be sure: www.hybridlaw.com

I am in New Jersey. Thank you and everyone for the condolences. It's hard to believe he is gone.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I didn't visit either of my cats, but I did get a TON of pictures. I have pictures of Kovu from hours old on up, she sent them almost daily. Nyah was older, she we got pics of her every few days until we picked her up. Both breeders spent a lot of time asking questions about our family, us, vets, other pets, etc prior to any deal being made. We were very aware of personalities before I laid eyes on either of them in person!

I don't have any domestic kitties, but there are certainly members here who do and it works. But, as also mentioned, Savannahs are high energy so you need to make sure that would be ok with your current kitty.