Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

If It Weren't For Bad Luck...

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
It has been raining for the past 16 days here in Northeast Ohio. This last storm was the worst of all, and wouldn't you know, my sump pump picked this time to break a hose. My laundry and family rooms both flooded. :cry: Will have to replace carpet and drywall. Now I know what they mean when they say, "When it rains, it pours."

SlugMaster

Site Supporter
Mrs. C.C.

I can relate to your house flooding. I grew up in Omaha and we had that happen during a tornado. Hopefully this will pass soon.
Bruce

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
Ahhhh that's awful! I am from Florida so I had no idea what a sump pump was until this past weekend. I was visiting my grandmother in Georgia. It had been raining all day and night and I went to use the restroom about midnight in the downstairs bathroom. I walked into the room to find the room flooded. Further investigation showed the water was seeping through the floor and the garage was flooded as well. We walked outside and the water was flowing out of the cement. Being from Florida we just figured things were flooding. After about half an hour of sweeping water out only to have it fill right back up, we decided to wake my grandmother up. Turned out we had a power surge earlier that day and the circuit breaker the sump pump was knocked off line. We fortunately caught it just in time.

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Mrs. C.C.

I can relate to your house flooding. I grew up in Omaha and we had that happen during a tornado. Hopefully this will pass soon.
Bruce

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I guess some flooding would be the lesser of 2 evils. I've been fortunate enough to never experience a tornado; although, Ohio gets it's fair share of watches. There was one huge one in the 80's that even uprooted caskets in a town just a few miles down the road from where we now live. Glad you made it through, and thanks for the well wishes!

M

macmanmatty

I'm sorry to hear about your flooding I know how bad it can be I live on the coast of nw fl and our yard is 2-6 ft above sea level. During hurricane dennis we had 8+ ft of salt water in places of our yard. Fortunatly our house is 12ft in the air. But everything under our house was toast.

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Ahhhh that's awful! I am from Florida so I had no idea what a sump pump was until this past weekend. I was visiting my grandmother in Georgia. It had been raining all day and night and I went to use the restroom about midnight in the downstairs bathroom. I walked into the room to find the room flooded. Further investigation showed the water was seeping through the floor and the garage was flooded as well. We walked outside and the water was flowing out of the cement. Being from Florida we just figured things were flooding. After about half an hour of sweeping water out only to have it fill right back up, we decided to wake my grandmother up. Turned out we had a power surge earlier that day and the circuit breaker the sump pump was knocked off line. We fortunately caught it just in time.
I had no idea what a sump pump was either. I came from Michigan...we never flooded. That sandy soil would suck the rain right up. Good thing for your grandmother that you woke up! I'm glad you were able to catch it before went further than the garage and bathroom!

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
I'm sorry to hear about your flooding I know how bad it can be I live on the coast of nw fl and our yard is 2-6 ft above sea level. During hurricane dennis we had 8+ ft of salt water in places of our yard. Fortunatly our house is 12ft in the air. But everything under our house was toast.
I can just imagine what that was like...did you find any sea creatures in strange places? I bet you had to watch out for jellyfish for awhile. I'm beginning to wish I had a raised house like yours! I haven't suffered with the extreme weather like you have, but I'm really tired of how this clay soil retains water. Guess I'll have to save my pennies and get some drainage put in. It doesn't help matters that a backyard neighbor whose house is kitty-corner from mine, built a cement sluice to rid his yard of excess water. The darned thing dumps even more water in my yard.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Wow, sorry to hear of your flooding woes. No flooding here, since I live on a hill, but we do get power outages and hurricanes...

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks, Paige! You're truly lucky that you live on a hill. I happen to live at the bottom of a hill. A new development went in at the top, and they tapped into the old sewer lines, which are smaller than today's requirements. It puts a strain on the existing lines. My backyard always retains water after a good rain, but what we've been having these past 16 days is ridiculous! There's a 30% chance of more on Saturday. :(

I don't know how long you've been away from home, John, but I can bet you're in for a surprise! Better fire up that mower if your yard isn't too waterlogged!