Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

illegality of savannah cats in Georgia

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
If word got out to the media about an "exotic" looking cat being reported, found or confiscated, guaranteed that various "scamtuaries" ...Big Cat Rescue, Wildcat Sanctuary, and others...would be all over it like flies on shit. Lengthy facebook posts to their sheeple and misinformed and biased news interviews would play up the illegal status, along with the ridiculous mantra those places quote about Savannahs and other hybrids being "bad pets"....we don't need anymore of those types of situations!

As Witchy said...the fate of a confiscated cat is uncertain.

If you live in Georgia, and are thinking of trying to pass a Savannah off as a regular domestic or other breed....don't do it. I'm sure there are Savannahs owned in Georgia...a few unethical breeders WILL sell to illegal areas; some don't care where their kittens go to live...but until the law is changed, owning a Savannah there is risky and not safe nor fair to the cat.

Later generation Bengals (F4, F5, F6, etc) are allowed in Georgia, and of course there are other spotted breeds of cats that are perfectly legal and without a wild cat ancestor: Ocicat, Egyptian Mau, Oriental Spotted Tabby, the Highlander, just to name a few.

http://www.hybridlaw.com/

James Singleton

Savannah Child
If word got out to the media about an "exotic" looking cat being reported, found or confiscated, guaranteed that various "scamtuaries" ...Big Cat Rescue, Wildcat Sanctuary, and others...would be all over it like flies on shit. Lengthy facebook posts to their sheeple and misinformed and biased news interviews would play up the illegal status, along with the ridiculous mantra those places quote about Savannahs and other hybrids being "bad pets"....we don't need anymore of those types of situations!

As Witchy said...the fate of a confiscated cat is uncertain.

If you live in Georgia, and are thinking of trying to pass a Savannah off as a regular domestic or other breed....don't do it. I'm sure there are Savannahs owned in Georgia...a few unethical breeders WILL sell to illegal areas; some don't care where their kittens go to live...but until the law is changed, owning a Savannah there is risky and not safe nor fair to the cat.

Later generation Bengals (F4, F5, F6, etc) are allowed in Georgia, and of course there are other spotted breeds of cats that are perfectly legal and without a wild cat ancestor: Ocicat, Egyptian Mau, Oriental Spotted Tabby, the Highlander, just to name a few.

http://www.hybridlaw.com/

I own a Savannah and I live in Maryland right now, but I am in the military and have an assignment to Georgia.. :(

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I'm so sorry, James. How long is your assignment in Georgia? Do you have family or friends that can care for your kitty while you are away?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
The problem is, if a cat is confiscated, it is up to the the owner to prove it is not a Savannah - if you can't prove it they will assume it is what they think it is, and it will be gone forever :(

If you are military will you be living on base? If so, you should check with your base regulations since I believe they can supersede local law (although I could be wrong). Otherwise, you might check with your breeder to see if he/she would be willing to keep your Savannah during your stay in GA.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
That sucks James. Being Military, you should not have to worry about such BS. But, my friend, in order to keep your fur baby, you need to not take the chance. Local yokels are dimwits , at best.

Trish Allearz

Base housing won't supersede local laws from what I recall. In fact, base housing is usually stricter than local law. Being in the military-- your life isn't your own, unfortunately :/

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have heard (I believe from Patty Bennett) that some bases will allow Savannahs, so they are safe as long as they don't leave the base - again, I could be remembering wrong. Personally I wouldn't want to chance it. I know it's hard to give up your baby, even temporarily, but you need to think about what's best for him/her and make the selfless choice.