Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

I'm Deborah -- deliciously deliriously devoted to Savannahs

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I am chef, groomer, and head pooper scooper to 3 Savannahs -- F2 Juba Kai, F6 Taji, and F2 Maliik. I discovered Savannahs on a jewelry forum, oddly enough, when a member posted about her Savannah. Off to Google I went and after almost 2 yrs of research, I acquired my first Savannah about 3 yrs ago.

I struggled with the notion of purchasing a breed when there are so many homeless animals in need and I still feel a bit of guilt. However, as my 2 DSHs and I aged, I knew that whatever animals I got when the DSHs passed would be my last and I wanted something really special as my companion animal years come to a close. If I'm lucky enough to have my guys live 20 yrs, hubby and I will be in our late 70s.

I'm active in volunteer work for homeless/abused animals in my community and was a wildlife rehabilitator in another life.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Deborah, we are so happy to have you here!

I struggled with the same issue you did, as far as all the homeless animals and have always had shelter and homeless animals my entire adult life, but I fell in love with the Savannah and now I can't imagine living without my 2...and hopefully some kittens soon...

Sounds like you keep busy and age is just a number1 Thank you for all your volunteer work on behalf of abused/homeless animals!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Deborah, as a breeder, I too struggled with the guilt and idea of bringing new babies into the world when there are so many homeless animals. I still have a few "friends" who think I should stop breeding. They are entitled to their opinion, and me mine. I did do a bit of rescue once, but I was so fussy about finding them the perfect home that they stayed here so long I'd get so attached to them it would break my heart when they found the right home :) For a few years I was the go-to refuge place for cats that college kids had abandoned (I live in a college town), or got caught with in their pet-free apartments. Now I am happy to place happy, healthy Savannah kittens with people who love them as much as I love mine! I still like to look at the "lost cat" ads and try to match them up with "found cats"...been successful twice, (once in another state!), and have helped people place cats they can no longer keep, so I feel I am still doing some good.....:)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I still do rescue as well as breed, and as Pam says, am every bit as fussy about their new homes as for one of my precious kittens. I understand the guilt about homeless cats but I do not think that breeders of pedigreed cats are to blame for the shelter overpopulation... stopping breeding would not change this. The cats in shelters are not in general recognizably purebred cats, they are mixed breed from feral cat populations or pet owners that didn't get their pet spayed/neutered. So to my mind, our energies are better directed towards supporting low cost spay-neuter clinics and plans like that. And supporting rescue work of course!

Trish Allearz

Heh- at least you know we all have good hearts!

Yep, it was very hard- that first investment into a Savannah- knowing all the other babies that need homes. I did regular kitty rescue for over 10 years before stepping into Savannahs (actually- purebreds)- but I can't say I regret my decision to own purebred kitties.

Deborah- you sound like a wonderful SV slave :) I can't wait to see you around the forums!