Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm not 100% Concinced (Also, Loki introduces himself...kinda)

Risstron

Savannah Kitten
So recently I found an ad on craigslist advertising an F2 male Savannah. Of course, I was all over it. I didn't pay an exuberant amount of money for him, but he's a 6 month old in-tact (until Tues) male. I have never owned a Savannah before but have had cats my entire life and was in need of a feline companion. Anyway, here's a picture of my new boy.

I love him! He's the most affectionate and kind cat I've ever owned. He's extremely vocal and attention seeking, and AMAZING with my 2 year old. For being 6 months, he's also quite large.

Here comes the part I'm uncertain about... she says he is an F2 but claims that his father was an F1 and his mother was an F2, both Savannahs. From what I've read, F1 males are sterile. Right? Anyway, take a look...what do you guys think? Is he even a Savannah at all? Guesses on felile generation? (The flash did some weird thing to the tint, btw. He is not a green cat lol)

To get an idea of his size, that's him sitting on my 3 year old the day we got him. Very friendly guy.

Attachments

• 10277122_10152486069192425_8613450578302594009_n.jpg
    10277122_10152486069192425_8613450578302594009_n.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20140511_165719_536.jpg
    IMG_20140511_165719_536.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20140508_160035_204-1.jpg
    IMG_20140508_160035_204-1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'd not guess F2... more like possibly F5. He's not really got a lot of strong Serval attributes. Is the first picture of him a lot younger? It looks very different from the other pictures...And obviously the story of an F1 father is a big hint that the given pedigree info is not true. The only way that might possibly be true would be if the father was one of the mythical >90% F1 Savannahs and thence with an F2 mom you'd expect something that looks like my 62.%% F1 as a result.

Did you ask to see papers for the parents? Did you see the parents? Was there any pedigree information or just the story of an F1 father and F2 mother?

I hope you didn't pay a lot for him....and I am glad he's a lovely cat and will be a great pet for you no matter what, especially once neutered! Congratulations!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I don't really see a lot of Savannah in him, I am guessing that his dad is not Savannah at all, in which case he could possibly be an F3 with a lot of influence from the dad. He certainly sounds like a Savannah though, so it seems you've gotten yourself a wonderful new family member!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As a headsup to others, when buying off Craigslist do ask for papers, even if it is just paperwork from the breeder and not bonafide registration papers. There ARE cases where people are rehoming cats or kittens as they find the responsibility of owning a high energy cat just too much...but there are also people willing to say the kitten/cat is anything to get some money out of you. Those people usually say there are papers but they don't know where they are, they are in a box from a previous move, etc etc.

If you are paying them more than say $200 you need to know you are getting what they are labeling it as. If you are only paying $200 or less then the risk is you might just have a lovely mixed breed kitten.

Risstron

Savannah Kitten
I paid 100 for him and another person offered 500 but she had already promised him to me. I was curious because the price was so low as well.

The first picture was taken just a few hours ago while the others were taken a few days ago.

I just text the previous owner and she said that he cannot be neutered. Apparently she tried back in march and he flatlined 4 times while he was under anesthesia. I'm glad I asked her or I wouldn't have known.I wonder if they used ketamine on him.

The story on him is that she is going through a divorce which was brought about abruptly and so the vet papers will be sent. Nothing other than a harness was given to me upon picking him up. He does walk pretty good on a leash with a few stubborn moments each walk. I asked about the parents when I picked him up and other than saying what the f#s were she said his father came up to just below her knee when standing on all fours.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I would definitely wish to know more about the anesthesia tried, and yes if you could get the vet information. She doesn't even need to send them, if she can call her vet and give them your vet's number they can communicate directly. You are probably right and ketamine was used... flatlining 4 times seems worrisome as mostly when I have heard of those stories the cat ends up with residual health issues. I know of one cat that is now blind from a similar reaction to ketamine.

if she's responding to texts ask if she can remember the breeder's name or even the location of the cattery...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Oh and he does have some slight oceli looking marks behind his ears, though it is faint.
Domestic shorthairs when a brown spotted tabby will often have faint ocelli also... it is just in the early generations we often see really distinct markings (and of course the Serval has really vivid ones!)...

admin

Paige
Staff member
Looks like an F5 to me...and if you do not get him neutered, you will not be a happy camper...just take him to the vet for a health check to make sure he is healthy with no parasites, fleas, etc., and talk to the vet about neutering him...otherwise he will be spraying and calling and it is not good for you or him...

Congrats - he is a handsome guy!

Risstron

Savannah Kitten
Thank you all for your replies. She said she didn't go through a breeder but family friend. Caveat emptor I suppose. Either way I have a sweet little fuzzbutt. :) she still insists that his father was an f1 and mother was an f2, though I'm having a really hard time believing that. She said they paid 10,000 for the father because he was not sterile and received the mother for free because she was breeder shocked, which she had mentioned about the mother before.