Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

IMPORTANT: Help!

teedoxo

Savannah Child
So yesterday I had my 1 year old f4 male fixed. He's an indoor cat so it was mainly to stop the constant howling! He was not fertile and we didn't notice a problem with spraying prior to the surgery, however he did poop on my bag once. Today when I woke up he had peed a horrible smelling pee on the same bag!
Is this going to be the norm now?!
Why did it smell so bad if he's fixed?!
Was he neutered too late and he'll just continue to mark territory?
I really want to keep my baby, but if he keep this up I just KNOW my mom won't put up with it...what do I do?!
HELP!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

admin

Paige
Staff member
He may be uncomfortable and needs time for the hormones to dissipate. It usually takes a few weeks. Honesty all cats should be spayed/neutered regardless of whether they are fertile or not... They will spray and call (otherwise)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
My outside male cat was neutered at eight weeks...he is 6years old now and I've seen him spraying because of the feral cats running around. I was going to make him a house cat, but not now if he sprays!:(

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
So yesterday I had my 1 year old f4 male fixed. He's an indoor cat so it was mainly to stop the constant howling! He was not fertile and we didn't notice a problem with spraying prior to the surgery, however he did poop on my bag once. Today when I woke up he had peed a horrible smelling pee on the same bag!
Is this going to be the norm now?!
Why did it smell so bad if he's fixed?!
Was he neutered too late and he'll just continue to mark territory?
I really want to keep my baby, but if he keep this up I just KNOW my mom won't put up with it...what do I do?!
HELP!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I think peeing on the bag may simply be a sign he's in discomfort. The horrible smell of the urine, was it the same smell as from his litterbox in past weeks or was it a different smell? I might be worried about infection, if he continues to do this I would consult your vet.

I might also consider how the bag was cleaned after the poop incident, as well as this pee incident. How did you clean it, specifically what products? It may be that a scent remains as cats' noses are way more sensitive than ours...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
My outside male cat was neutered at eight weeks...he is 6years old now and I've seen him spraying because of the feral cats running around. I was going to make him a house cat, but not now if he sprays!:(

You might find that the outside cat settles down when adapted to living inside a home, when he feels more secure and not feeling the need to mark HIS territory in that way. If I were to do that though, I'd consider the methods online about keeping feral cats out of your yard, deterrents and motion detector water sprays etc.

But realistically, after 6 years of spraying, there is a chance that any time he is upset he might spray. There are many methods of reducing that incidence, but you would be taking on that commitment... one that will be repaid with the companionship and love of that cat no doubt!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Depending on what kind of litter you use, I suspect it has been somewhat masking his odoriferous urine, and you've never gotten the full brunt of it until he peed on the bag. I'm not sure why he peed on the bag this one time, but suspect it is a combination of lingering anesthesia causing a touch of confusion or forgetfulness, and spite peeing for you making him go to the vet and having surgery.

His hormones will continue to circulate for at least a couple of weeks so you will need to keep your eye on him for more incidents. Also, be sure to clean that bag thoroughly with a strong enzyme cleaner such as Anti-Icky-Poo or Unique Distributors (the over the counter products you find at the pet stores are usually inadequate). Hopefully this was a one time indiscretion and will not happen again.