Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Important question!!!

Jim & Baghira

Savannah Super Cat
Ok I have a important question!!!
Baghira is our only cat child right now tri big grin:. We want to get another cat and wanted to know what kind of cat we should get. Baghira will be 7 months old on the 16th and he can play a little rough sometimes. So we kind of thought maybe that if we got a younger cat that Baghira might beat him up :(.

So the questions are...
Male or female?
Age?
Play style (like Baghira or a little calmer)?

Thanks for any tips in advance ;)
Jim

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think if the cats are altered it doesn't really matter if you get a male or female, however females do tend to have the reputation of getting into mischief more, and that doesn't seem to change when altered.

Any age should be fine, but introducing a kitten is usually an easier/smoother process.

You can either get a breed similar to Baghira (Savannah, Bengal, Chausie, Abyssinian, etc.) or a more steadfast type breed such as the British Shorthair or Maine Coon, however, I personally believe that Baghira would prefer a more active cat that will want to participate in his play and high jinx!

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I say another Savannah only because I am biased! I have a boy and a girl. My boy is much more hyper and just a bull in a china shop. My girl is more thoughtful in the trouble she causes, like opening doors, turning on faucets, opening toilet lids and putting paper in for decoupage projects. They play together for hours, and even though Kovu is taller than Nyah now, she rules and he backs down as soon as she gives "the look".

I don't know if their personalities are so different because of gender or because different kitties have different personalities. I do know having more than one SV is awesomely entertaining!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have to agree with Becki, but I also have to say that my Highlanders are very entertaining, keep up with the most active of my Savannahs, and are total love bugs! I can't believe I forgot to mention them in my original post, because I think they are the perfect companion for a Savannah!

I have to agree with Becki, but I also have to say that my Highlanders are very entertaining, keep up with the most active of my Savannahs, and are total love bugs! I can't believe I forgot to mention them in my original post, because I think they are the perfect companion for a Savannah!
Oh no, I looked up highlander and now I want one of those, too! Soon I will be a full fledged cat lady if I don't stop looking at the cute babies.

I have a Bengal and she is a little younger than my Savannah but she can out run, out climb and outwit him every time. She's probably 1/3 his size. Unfortunately the Savannah taught the Bengal how to get into drawers and cabinets so we have had to baby safely lock everything but they seem pretty well paired (Savannah is about 7 and Bengal is around 4)

Jim & Baghira

Savannah Super Cat
I don´t think I´d do that to a kitten.... I mean hell I hate that long flight myself :mad: I´ve made that flight about 25 times now and I think it gets worse every time :(

Jim & Baghira

Savannah Super Cat
Hey Patti what would the name for a Highlander be over here in Europe? When I type in Highlander all I get are British long hair or short hair o_O