Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Impossible to cut nails !

Lizerd619

Savannah Kitten
Can anyone give ideas on how to cut a very large and strong male f1 nails ? He puts up a fight for his life. Anyone attempting ( including Groomers) have gotten scratched and just given up. We use the cone and have 3 people sometimes. He just goes nuts, jumps, twists and does anything to defend his nails. There has to be others with the same issues. But never seem to get a valid idea other than taking him to a vet (which seems difficult as well, and will prob have the same outcome ). Sedation ? And cat stray jackets ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaun Roach

Savannah Super Cat
Can anyone give ideas on how to cut a very large and strong male f1 nails ? He puts up a fight for his life. Anyone attempting ( including Groomers) have gotten scratched and just given up. We use the cone and have 3 people sometimes. He just goes nuts, jumps, twists and does anything to defend his nails. There has to be others with the same issues. But never seem to get a valid idea other than taking him to a vet (which seems difficult as well, and will prob have the same outcome ). Sedation ? And cat stray jackets ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got 2 F3males and when they sleep they are out, my girlfriend will pick them up after a couple hours of sleeping and they are half asleep and she can cut there nails no problem because they are still out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It's a difficult situation. There are some cats that just go ballistic with nail trimming. I must admit I have a couple here that I just don't trim. I think your only other option is sedation. You can do this at the vet's, or they can possibly recommend some sort of sedation you can use at home - for instance, lorazepam and acepromazine have both been used to sedate cats.

Val

Site Supporter
I can only trim my F1s nails while he’s sleeping. Usually 5 at a time. I gently retract each one and do it quickly. I’ve tried to do it when he’s awake, he flips out and sounds like a Tasmanian devil.

Rob1984

Savannah Super Cat
usually when he just wakes up i'll do it i will get the bag of treats out and he gets one for every nail he lets me cut my cat loves food so he cant resist