Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Information overload

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
So I am finally taking the plunge. I've been reading up on what to do to switch to raw but it's all kinda blurring together. Plus I am by no means a nutritionist can someone lay it out straight for me? For an assortment of meats should I feed them cut up together? Or pick a different meat each day. Loki loves beef the most. He likes chicken and pork as well when I cool if for him. He will eat just about anything so I don't doubt that the switch should be easy. I bought wild trax vitamins but I was told it is best with bone. I do not have a grinder just yet. How can I supplement what he is missing in the wild trax without adding bone at this time? Also is if necessary to feed grass fed antibiotic free meats? Or can I go ahead and use up the frozen Tyson chicken breast I have in the freezer? My brain is mush. Someone help point me in the right direction here. What additional supplements would I need? Shopping list perhaps I would like to pickup the missing items later today and tomorrow if possible.

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
The reason I want to switch now is because he seems to have gas constantly. I had switched his kibble and ever since his poops smell even more and he has more gas than he had before. Both didnt seem to sit well in his tummy so I think it's time to go with a better option that won't upset his tummy. He does better when I feed him more cooked chicken or meat of any sort. But I can't rely on that alone for nutrition. Should I will gradually switch mixing in the food that I give him. Currently I am mixing psyllium husk and pumpkin in his food to help because he did have a bout of diarhea a few weeks ago. And on the kibble he has I've given him 3 weeks to adjust and still needs pumpkin and psyllium husk to normalize everything.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
First thing to do is get a fecal (or another fecal if you've had one done) to test for parasites. Ask that the fecal include a test for giardia. Rule out that as a cause of the gas/diarrhea/smelly poop.

The Wildtrax has calcium carbonate in it so you don't have to worry about supplementing with calcium.

To ensure proper balance of vitamins/minerals, it's best to feed one type of meat at a meal. If he likes beef, mix in a bit of beef liver and beef heart. I buy a whole heart at the grocery store, cut it up small portions and freeze it. Same with chicken hearts -- I freeze 4 in a bag to mix in with chicken & turkey.

Don't feed chicken breast -- use thighs and legs for higher taurine value and higher mineral content. You can buy regular grocery meat if you that's what you prefer.

It is important that you follow the guideline for ratio of meat/organ/bone. You can give him chicken necks, wings, ribs with meat on. Also cornish game hen. Turkey necks & wings are good too. He won't be able to chew the bone, but it'll be good for gums and teeth.

So the ratio for feeding each week:
  • 80% raw boneless meat. This includes primarily muscle meat but can also include things like fat and skin, along with any kind of connective tissue such as tendons, sinew, cartilage etc.
  • 10% raw edible sized meaty bones (necks/ribs/wings)
  • 5-10% squishy organ meats, with half that amount being liver. Don't overdo the liver -- it'll cause diarrhea.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
The breeder is mailing me some of her wormer and recommended deworming again. The stuff she has covers giardia as well I believe. She offered since she had some extra at the house which was super nice of her. should I just have stool sample test done regardless of worming again? Also I don't think hell have a problem switching if anything I believe it should help his tummy. Should I still mix in kibble with it? He has a habit of avoiding kibble if I give him something else instead.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Should I still leave kibble out in between meals or just keep it hidden unless included in meal? My boyfriend is off of work currently so he is home almost all the time he won't have a problem doing meal times during the day while I am at work. Also I saw the recipie on a separate forum that included salmon and egg( cooked whites and raw yolks) if I give him krill oil should I pass on the salmon or vice versa? And should I still do the egg? Do this for all of his meals? Or just a couple times a week with the fish oil and egg and give raw meat with vitamins daily? Should I add the vitamin e, and be complex on top of daily vitamin or leave as is?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you for the ratios by the way. I have been scouring the interwebs to find something like that. Thank you!!!!!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
The breeder is mailing me some of her wormer and recommended deworming again. The stuff she has covers giardia as well I believe. should I just have stool sample test done regardless of worming again? Should I still mix in kibble with it? He has a habit of avoiding kibble if I give him something else instead.
What is she sending you as a wormer? I worm my cats every 4 months with Drontal which doesn't treat giardia. Drontal Plus does as well as Panacur.

If he is avoiding the kibble, you don't need to mix it into the raw. He has an obvious preference for raw -- good boy!