Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Introducing 7 mo. F6 Male to a new 3 legged 2 mo. Domestic kitten

tusalena

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Guys

Do you know if there are any issues with introducing Older Kitten Savannahs to younger domestic kitten? We are adopting a 10 week old kitten that has to have his front leg amputated, we did not want him to be put to sleep, so we will be taking him in after his surgery on Friday.

My concern is Blue who is now 7 months old will be too aggressive or assertive towards the little guy. He's a small fellow as well. Is there a safe way to introduce Blue to the new guy? Are Savannah's known to be assertive towards other kittens?

He's getting along with a couple of my regular cats, but the older ones there is still growling and hissing going on even through the older cats do not attack him.

Any advice would be appreciated as I want to help this new guy have a better chance at life.

Also are Savannah's warmer to the touch than Domestics? Blue always feels warm, not sweaty just toasty warm:)

Thanks again

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Savannahs are exuberant and I am sure Blue will wish to wrestle with the new kitten... but kittens usually work this out pretty well. I've not known the size difference to hold kittens back, so you may well find your new kitten is confident in his interactions with Blue. Kittens let each other know by squealing when it is too much and the wrestling usually breaks at that point... it is only something to worry about if one kitten is trying to run away all the time and the other not letting them. Generally you will find it is pretty equal.

I know the new kitten has had an amputation (and bless you for taking him in) but cats seem to deal well with such things. When I was younger we had a young cat have her leg amputated and we were so worried for her on her return, where she promptly scampered up a ladder left out in the house to show us all she was still crazy and active and not at all disabled :)

I don't find my Savannahs warmer to the touch than my British Shorthair... but maybe if he's running around a lot he's warmer for that reason?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would definitely wait until the new kitten is completely healed before introducing it to any of your other cats, then I would introduce them one by one, only moving on to the next one after the current one seems excepting. You will have to gauge the new kitten's personality - not knowing what led to its need for an amputation, it's hard to say if this will effect its personality or the way it interacts with cats, other animals, or humans, so you will have to play it by ear. In general, I think a kitten is a great match for Savannah kitten, so as long as they are introduced properly I'd guess they'll be great for each other.

BTW, you can search for other threads on how to introduce new kittens into the family from the search box on the home page.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
You are good people. So many would send the kitten to the "other side" Love that you care!

Possibly Blue feels warmer because his hair is shorter than your Brit and so more of his normal heat makes it to the surface than on the Brit. Cats can have anywhere from 100 to 102 deg F body temp.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
OH yes, I forgot to say that of course the kitten must heal from surgery and anyway ANY new addition should be quarantined at least 2 weeks before introductions start!

tusalena

Savannah Super Cat
I would definitely wait until the new kitten is completely healed before introducing it to any of your other cats, then I would introduce them one by one, only moving on to the next one after the current one seems excepting. You will have to gauge the new kitten's personality - not knowing what led to its need for an amputation, it's hard to say if this will effect its personality or the way it interacts with cats, other animals, or humans, so you will have to play it by ear. In general, I think a kitten is a great match for Savannah kitten, so as long as they are introduced properly I'd guess they'll be great for each other.

BTW, you can search for other threads on how to introduce new kittens into the family from the search box on the home page.

Thank you I'll do another search. First ones I saw was introducing Savanna to existing cat. I'll definite try your suggestion of one at a time until he is used to each one. He seems a very friendly fellow, desperate for attention as he's been living in a cage for the past week or so. I think his story was someone tossed him out a car and someone else saw this and scooped him up. It amazes me the cruelty of people.

tusalena

Savannah Super Cat
You are good people. So many would send the kitten to the "other side" Love that you care!

Possibly Blue feels warmer because his hair is shorter than your Brit and so more of his normal heat makes it to the surface than on the Brit. Cats can have anywhere from 100 to 102 deg F body temp.

That's kind if what I thought on e body temp., due to his very short coat he feels warmer. Will is be an issue in the winter. Will I have to get him a coat:). It can get cold in Ontario, Canada:)

tusalena

Savannah Super Cat
OH yes, I forgot to say that of course the kitten must heal from surgery and anyway ANY new addition should be quarantined at least 2 weeks before introductions start!

This will be a new experience for everyone, but I saw another kitten 6 weeks after his amputation (back leg) and it's like he never noticed it and the surgery was excellent, no scar and with e hair grown back it looks like it the leg was never there.

I try and do my part for the community and I hate to see cats in cages. Wish me luck:)

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Good on you for taking in this "special needs" baby! I don't have any advice, but I hope to see pictures of your new addition when he comes home. Is he named yet?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Thank you I'll do another search. First ones I saw was introducing Savanna to existing cat. I'll definite try your suggestion of one at a time until he is used to each one. He seems a very friendly fellow, desperate for attention as he's been living in a cage for the past week or so. I think his story was someone tossed him out a car and someone else saw this and scooped him up. It amazes me the cruelty of people.
Sorry, sometimes the search engine doesn't work very well on this forum. Try this link: http://www.savannahcatchat.com/threads/introducing-a-new-cat-into-the-family.4746/

Poor kitty, he is so lucky to have found you. I'm sure he'll adjust just fine once he has healed. I know he will probably want to be up and about but it will be important to limit his activity for the first couple of weeks after surgery.

Do you have any pics of the little guy? I'd love to see him!